Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wasted Technology?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Poll: Most Under-Used Technology (9 member(s) have cast votes)

Which technology is the most under-used

1. Blue Ray (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. GPS (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Media Center Extender (3 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

4. Time Shift Recording (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Blue Tooth (2 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

6. Touch Screen Devices (Phones, Meeting Collaboration, Etc) (1 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

7. PhysX Technology (1 votes [11.11%])

8. Linux as OS Replacement (1 votes [11.11%])

9. Other (0 votes [0.00%])

10. I'm challenged you insensitive Clod (1 votes [11.11%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 03 December 2008 - 01:08 PM

As the rhetorical questions suggest, I'm curious to know how many people actually use the technology in their live's. I often find more and more people that could benefit
from several technologies. A few examples; Syncing their phones to PC with Blue Tooth, or using Streets and Trips to map out a game plan when traveling. These are some more obvious things I can think of, however, what about all of the technology that we pass up without evening knowing about it?

Now, I know that I'm posting this to bleeping computer, and quite aware that several advanced users may want my geek card, but I think this is a great place for this poll.
Please tell me what technologies are grossly mis-understood and/or underused, and feel free to mention anything I left out. If you chose Other, please describe the technology
you're referring to.

Bring it on, Do you actually use the technology around you? Do your Friends and family?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 03:20 PM

I'm thinking there aren't a lot of people using their PCs to watch movies or play music on their home theater TV or music system.

Even of those that do, I wonder how many utilize a Media Center Extender?

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 07:52 PM

I still have a LP turntable on my desk. One of these days I'll get around to putting everything on disks
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,805 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2008 - 09:43 PM

I don't use any of those things you listed above. :flowers:
-------------------
I prefer big physical maps to maps on a screen. I plan out trips well in advance, and often pencil in alternative routes. I take gazetteers, 7.5 minute series maps, and maps of any cities I might be going through with me. I use the 7.5 minute series maps when I'm driving on country roads. Gives me a lot more much needed detail. I do have a couple disks with streets/atlas programs etc. on them, and that is useful for finding the specific location of a place, but I don't use them to create the maps. I like finding my own routes, preferably without major highways.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 05 December 2008 - 11:38 AM

I used those big maps too - but could never get the dratted things to fold up properly once again :thumbsup: - now I just use a map book and it seems to work just fine - or if I'm planning a trip, just use one of the online routing sites.

Honestly, the reason I don't use so many of the magical things you've listed is simply because I know so little about them (such as the Media Extender).

Interesting thread because I too am always curious about all the technology out there that apparently so few of us either have the time to master or perhaps the resources to 'keep up'.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#6 RandomUser

RandomUser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 06:18 PM

MaraM Wrote:

Honestly, the reason I don't use so many of the magical things you've listed is simply because I know so little about them (such as the Media Extender).

This thing isn't so magical, just a differrent way for people to waste their money. I bought an XBOX 360 thinking that Vista Business would include support for the media center capabilities because it's above Home Premium. Wrong..... Only Vista Home Premium and Ultimate support the Media Center extender capabilities.

I have to wonder why I bought the XBox360 or Vista Business, when LinuxMCE or Mythbuntu would do the job. Granted I like to Game, and I need to
be familiar with Vista for my Job, but it would be nice not to get duped.

On a side note, GPS is up there because mostly truckers and cab drivers use it that I'm aware of. But MS Streets and Trips is an affordable solution yet I never see it in use.

#7 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 07:57 PM

I don't use any of that technology, someday when it is all cheap and obsolete I can maybe try it out. I had a GPS but it ran away :thumbsup:

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#8 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 06 December 2008 - 01:14 AM

My parents have a GPS, but it's only used for the long trips. I have no use for one, though (lol, no car or license at my age :thumbsup: ).

Other than that, we don't have any of that stuff.

Edited by scff249, 06 December 2008 - 01:15 AM.

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#9 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 08 December 2008 - 10:46 PM

Alright well let's see, I use my Blueray player in my Playstation 3. I have GPS and bluetooth that I use regularly on my touchscreen phone. I don't have a Tivo (Time shift recording) but never found them useful when most networks are releasing almost everything on their websites now). PhysX Technology is underused but it is gaining some traction in the market. I don't personally use it, but I do think it is useful and will become more popular here soon for video gaming. Media Center Extender I think is a little overkill, considering you could get by with most features it offers with just an Xbox or a PS3 and a computer running either Vista, XP, or Linux.

I do think the most underused technology of all of the ones listed is using Linux as a second O/S. Most people in the general population have no idea that Linux even exists, or know there is an alternative to Mac and Windows. I do believe that if more people did use Linux, there would be even more "flavours" or distrobutions of Linux. Ubuntu has done a very good job at making Linux more noticable on the Internet. However, there are many other great versions of Linux out there that should be taken advantage of. Ubuntu is a deriviation of Debian Linux. It would be nice to see the compnay Cannocial build a similar OS like Ubuntu built off a different type of Linux besides Debian.

#10 sopcannon

sopcannon

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 08 December 2008 - 10:58 PM

i have blue tooth on my phone that i have never used well except once on the greyhound just to see what i could get due to boredom.

have a pvr love it and use it all the time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users