Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wipe harddrive w/ Active@KillDisk, reformat and re-install win xp home on test machine

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ranger72

ranger72

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 03 December 2008 - 12:55 PM

Hello All!

I would like to totally wipe a 320 Gb Hitachi harddrive (IDE) so as to insure there is absolutely no possibility of previous data remaining on drive. This is on a test machine I have running Win xp home edition (SP 2). If I am understanding correctly after using KILLDISK then I will need to reformat disk and re-partition disk before doing the re-install. Is that correct?

Is this the right product to use for what it is I'm trying to do?

I wish to download KillDisk to a bootable CD-ROM and go from there. Does anybody who has used this app see any problems or have any comments about this process?

Thank you very much for your input/advice!

ranger72 :thumbsup:
So Much To Learn; So Little Time To Learn It In!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 03 December 2008 - 01:54 PM

You have the right idea, Killdisk or DBAN will do the job for you. After the hdd is wiped you can use the Windows installation CD to partition and then format the hdd, and it will prompt you through the installation.

Edited by dc3, 03 December 2008 - 01:55 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 ranger72

ranger72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 03:16 PM

Thank you dc3,

I am going to read up at the DBAN link you provided and make a decision.

Have you ever used either one?

ranger72

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 03:59 PM

I've used the free version of Killdisk without any problems at all
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 ranger72

ranger72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 04:48 PM

thank you Garmanma!

If I download/install to a disk will it run if booted from disk or usb thumb drive?

ranger72

#6 ranger72

ranger72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 05:40 PM

I have done my "RTFM" and have answered my own question. :trumpet:

I went with Active@Killdisk. I downloaded DBAN and couldn't get it to work...Then I downloaded KILLDISK and it booted right up with the instructions ready to go. The program seems to be running properly and gives me an estimated finish time of a couple of hours.

I will mess around with DBAN another time when I have time for experimentation..It also looks like a good proggy and it is on the "Good to Go" list for the Canadian Mounties which is a good enough recommendation for me (top notch outfit). :flowers:

I will let you all know if I run into any problems "Ex Post Facto" :thumbsup:

Thank you guys!

ranger72

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users