Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printing problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Moby Purple

Moby Purple

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 03 December 2008 - 12:36 PM

I cannot print from my laptop on my wireless network. I get "Document has been sent to the printer" and then "Printer is not responding". Base PC is a desktop connected to Linksys WRT54GL by ethernet, printer connected by USB. Network is in place, everything recognizes everything, printer is shared. Printer is shown as ready, shared, and the default printer on the laptop. I tried disabling the firewall on the desktop, but that didn't help. Newest drivers are installed, it is a Canon MP610. I have checked the wireless settings on the printer, and they are OK.

On the desktop in Device Manager, printer is shown under Disk Drives as a USB connected device. The printer is not shown at all on the laptop in Device Manager even though it is shared. Could this be the problem, and if so, how do I fix it?

Both PC's are Vista SP1.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:47 AM

You need to install the printer driver and Add new printer from the Printers and Faxes Applet in Control Panel. Then try to print after disabling both firewalls.

You can create a firewall rule later on if necessary.

#3 Moby Purple

Moby Purple
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 11 December 2008 - 06:13 PM

Thanks for the response, I would have answered sooner, but I didn't receive my email notification. I did some Googling and found that a lot of people had success by installing the printer using the 'local printer' option instead of the 'wireless printer'. It didn't work for me. I'll give it a try once more and disable both firewalls. I've been working on this off and on since installing SP1. I've dealt with a lot of computer problems, but this is one that I have yet to solve. Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users