Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connection problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 nickyboy

nickyboy

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 03 December 2008 - 12:27 PM

Hi

I can't connect to the internet, telephoned by ISP Tiscali, say its not a problem from there end, which is true as i have plugged my laptop into router and internet is working fine.

They say there is a firewall issue which is not allowing the internet.

Recently I had a vir trigger virus which I removed using Malbytes Malware software, this removed virus, however it is since then that I have had no internet connection.

I have removed all spyware/malware software from the computer and turned off windows firewall, plus Norton firewall which was the default, none of this has helped.

I am running XP with a Netgear router DG834Gv4

Hope someone can help

Nick

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 03 December 2008 - 01:02 PM

Running two firewalls at once...has never been recommended by anyone, to my knowledge...because such can lead to connection problems.

If you use the Windows/XP firewall, remove the 3d-party firewall...and vice versa.

Connecting to the Internet without any firewall is just asking for all sorts of malware problems.

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 03 December 2008 - 01:15 PM

Have you gone back and checked you connection settings to be sure that none of them has been changed?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 03 December 2008 - 01:24 PM

If you use the Windows/XP firewall, remove the 3d-party firewall...and vice versa.
Louis

the xp firewall is essentially useless... i do not recommend using it at all...

XP's firewall, remember, only stops incoming connections on limited ports BUT DOES NOT STOP OUTGOING connections

so if you get a worm, or backdoor, it will allow it to connect....

#5 nickyboy

nickyboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 03:15 PM

Should have said, I dont use the windows fire wall, just the norton one, interestingly I am able to receive e-mail in outlook and now despite uninstalling norton and disabling firewalls still cant access internet.

#6 nickyboy

nickyboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2008 - 12:07 PM

Also should have said I am connecting through ethernet cable/ports.

#7 bama_fan

bama_fan

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 04 December 2008 - 04:30 PM

something has to be blocking port 80......smtp (sending email) uses port 25....pop3 (receiving email) uses port 110...by default
Posted Image

#8 nickyboy

nickyboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 07:50 AM

Hi

How do I find out whats blocking port 80 and how do I solve this issue.

Can anyone help.

Nickyboy

#9 Michael York

Michael York

Authorized Symantec Representative

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 09 December 2008 - 07:39 PM

Hi

I can't connect to the internet, telephoned by ISP Tiscali, say its not a problem from there end, which is true as i have plugged my laptop into router and internet is working fine.

They say there is a firewall issue which is not allowing the internet.

Recently I had a vir trigger virus which I removed using Malbytes Malware software, this removed virus, however it is since then that I have had no internet connection.

I have removed all spyware/malware software from the computer and turned off windows firewall, plus Norton firewall which was the default, none of this has helped.

I am running XP with a Netgear router DG834Gv4

Hope someone can help

Nick

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Hi nickyboy,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team responding.

What Norton product and version did you have installed? Also, what was the name of the infection Norton caught and did it tell you that it was removed or quarantined?

You could have had a configuration error that caused your initial problem or could be related to whatever infections were found. Also, when you removed Norton, did you use the Norton Removal Tool to do so?

If you would like assistance with setting up Norton properly which should not only resolve your connectivity issue but also provide you with protection, please let me know the answers to the first questions I pose and I would be happy to help you out.

Thank you,
Mike
Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation
http://service.symantec.com/priority

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users