Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need a KVM Switch for 4 systems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tim_ver

tim_ver

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 03 December 2008 - 11:57 AM

I am looking for a solid KVM switch (DVI/USB 4 Port), I have a Belkin now 4 port ps2/analog. But I need a DVI/USB 4 Port switch. I have 4 systems to hook up to it. They are laptop "USB/Analog", PC1 "USB/Analog", PC2 "USB/Analog", and the last PC is "DVI/USB". Keyboard is Microsoft wireless PS2/USB, Monitor is DVI. I have looked around for last few days and have read reviews on several but they all say there either straight digital (DVI) or straight analog never a mix or say DVI with backward compatibility. Also some come with cables and some do not, also some with or with-out power supply. I was looking at choice one below and then using some analog to DVI convertors. Not sure if it is the best or if it will even work.

Can someone help me out here on finding a few that are and do a solid job. As it is now I have to constantly unplug the keyboard from the Belkin every time I switch from PC to PC. So need to get something better that works solid. Plus on a small Analog now and when I get the new DVI KVM I can use my large DVI display LCD.

Here are a few of what I have looked at so far:

IOGEAR GCS1764 4-Port DVI KVMP Switch USB Console, USB Peripherals, Audio
StarTech SV431DVIUA 4 Port StarView DVI USB KVM Switch with Audio

Any question please ask. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 03 December 2008 - 04:10 PM

I have this brand
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817422009
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 tim_ver

tim_ver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 03 December 2008 - 04:56 PM

Thanks. Do you run both analog and DVI pc's with it? How lon have you had it? Any issues or problems yet?

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 03 December 2008 - 08:13 PM

I've been using it for about a year
Unfortunately, KVM switches and video adapters don't play nice together. I had to get another video card for the computer that only had a VGA plug, after trying a few adapters and finding that out
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users