Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive quit working?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 apbt

apbt

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 03 December 2008 - 11:36 AM

I was wondering if my hard drive has gone out...
I was sitting there playing a game and i heard some noises kind of like a cd was hitting a piece of paper when it's spinning. I ejected my flash drive and the computer froze so i had to shut it off by holding the button, then i restarted it and it let me in to the bios and there wasn't a model name or serial number beside one of the hard drives. After i close the bios it just goes to a blank screen..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 03 December 2008 - 11:52 AM

Hi apbt, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

If this was a clicking noise this could be the dreaded "click of death". Enter the BIOS and enable the SMART feature if it isn't already, if it says SMART Bad, then you are facing an imminent hdd failure. Between the noise that you heard and the failure of the drive to show in the BIOS it sounds like the hdd has gone south.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 apbt

apbt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 12:03 PM

Yeah it sounds kind of like a clock ticking, so it's gone..does the warranty cover this problem? because i bought it 1 year ago next friday.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 03 December 2008 - 12:06 PM

If the warranty is for one year I would be on the phone with them right now.

Did you look in the BIOS and check the SMART feature? If it reads SMART Bad you have definitive proof for the manufacturer of you computer that the hdd has or is failing.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 apbt

apbt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 12:19 PM

i didn't see anything in the bios that said SMART but everything was enabled

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users