Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

repair install/pre bundled emachine

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bignight2

bignight2

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 03 December 2008 - 11:10 AM

Hi is it possible to repair system files from pre bundled pc that came with no cd? it is a emchine t6522, thanks for any help, Bignight

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 03 December 2008 - 11:37 AM

There are several things that you can do, the first I would suggest is doing a System Restore. You will want to choose a date that if prior to your problem.

b]Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore[/b].

When this opens make sure that "Restore my computer to an earlier time" is chosen, and click on Next>.

The dates appearing in bold are the dates that you can restore to, click on the date that you want and then click Next> to start the System Restore. This may take a long time to complete, and when it is done it will restart your computer. When the computer restarts and you have logged on as the administrator a Restoration Complete page will appear, click on OK to complete the process.

If you can't do this, try running chkdsk, you will want to use both the C: /f and C: /f.

Go to Start, click on Run, and type cmd in the box and then click OK.

A black page will open with a blinking cursor, type in the command that you wish to run and then strike the enter key.

chkdsk c: /f command automatically fixes any errors encountered.

chkdsk c: /r command locates bad sectors and recovers readable information.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,285 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 03 December 2008 - 11:42 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Did you prepare recovery CDs, in accordance with eMachine policy, when system was purchased?

I don't believe that you will be able to do a repair install with such...from what I read.

What you can do is borrow or burn a copy of someone else's Microsoft install CD for your operating system...and then use that to do a repair install, using your own valid XP key.

CD must reflect same version of O/S (Home for Home, etc.) and reflect same level of SPs installed on system. If disk is not current with XP, then you can make a slipsteamed CD that is current...and use that to do repairs/installs.

Louis

Edit: You can also run sfc /scannow (which replaces missing/damaged system files) from any properly slipstreamed XP install CD.

Edited by hamluis, 03 December 2008 - 11:44 AM.

#4 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 11:46 AM

does it have a "recovery" drive listed in the "my computer" area??

if so, play around with the f buttons (f1-f12) at boot time to see if it has a recovery feature.

please note IF IT DOES NOT SPECIFY IF IT IS DESTRUCTIVE OR NOT, IT USUALLY IS!!!(which means you CAN and probably WILL lose all your data so backup anything important)

Edited by Michael-Anthony, 03 December 2008 - 11:51 AM.

#5 bignight2

bignight2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 11:49 AM

yea prob is cd is other xp pro cd i have is sp2 and i upgraded to sp3, when i ran sfc/ sais wrond cd and dont give me a choice to find my i386 folder, system restore was screwed up and dates go back to when i was able to even get back to desktop, do to my other post in hijack, i was able to get back to desk using ultimate boot cd and did a semi restore with that then i canceld it, then did a reg restore, then it booted, but when i run sfc in run command it says errors and files have been changed, i knoticed this do to when i tryed to run defrag wont open, but will open in manager console, pc seems to run fine now just was concearned when i ran scf/ with the error system files have been changed or deleted

#6 bignight2

bignight2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 12:14 PM

i found a disk mighta been a backup i made like emachines said has 1386 on it and stuff is there a way to tell if it is right one

#7 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 03:47 PM

you could try sfc /scannow with that disk, see if it works.

#8 bignight2

bignight2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 04:08 PM

no luckalso have like 5 discs wondering if that was the back up, do i go to the start programs backup. restore wizard?

#9 bignight2

bignight2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2008 - 07:14 AM

so would i need this exact number below for a disk or just and xp pro disk striplined to sp3's

from my computer properties page:
micro win xp
media center edition
version 2002
service pack 3

from system information page:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600

thanks for help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users