Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Format

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 connor2010

connor2010

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 03 December 2008 - 04:11 AM

Hi guys. I need some urgent help.

I've just formatted my pc and now im having trouble trying to reinstall winows. I used Active KillDisk t wipe my 250 gig HDD clean and now when i boot from my XP Professional cd it doesnt pick up the the whole HDD it only picks up like 13000mb of unpartitioned space where it should pick up 239 gigs of unpartitioned space. I dont know what to do?

any help will be much appriciated
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 03 December 2008 - 05:37 AM

What was the allocated space that you chose to partition?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 connor2010

connor2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 10:59 AM

I have not got to partitioning the drive yet. I've just run killdisk. I selected to clean the whole drive and not just the partition that had the OS on it.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 11:15 AM

You will have to partition the hard drive and then format it before you can continue to install Windows. The installation CD will walk you through this. If you are not going to make more than one partition you can just use all of the unallocated space that will be available when the CD prompts you to partition the hdd.

You can read more about this here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 03 December 2008 - 11:37 AM

wipe my 250 gig HDD.....it (windows setup) only picks up like 13000mb of unpartitioned space where it should pick up 239 gigs of unpartitioned space

You can read more about this here.

that link doesnt explain why windows setup only sees 13 of the 250 gig.

is this some sort of limitation for the setup?? (actually wait.. my mce setup saw the whole 160gb hdd when i repartitioned it. so this puzzles me too.)

Edited by Michael-Anthony, 03 December 2008 - 11:38 AM.

#6 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 03 December 2008 - 11:41 AM

I would say, download gparted to make sure when its partitioned it is done correctly. (plus it has a gui)

#7 connor2010

connor2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2008 - 02:09 PM

thanks for the advice guys you've helped out quite a bit, i have windows up and running agian. The only problem is that I can only use 130 gigs out of th 250. Windows seems to think that 120gigs is used up and thats not possible! Now im really screwed.lol.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 04 December 2008 - 05:08 PM

There's a 137 gB limit on earlier versions of XP (SP0 and SP1 as I recall).
Most hard drive manufacturer's have a setup tool that will overcome this.
The easiest solution is to format 130 gB or so - then once you've done your Windows Updates (SP2 or SP3) you'll be able to expand the drive to it's full capacity.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 connor2010

connor2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2008 - 07:32 AM

I've installed sp3 now. How do expand the drive? What program must i use?

#10 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 09 December 2008 - 03:44 AM

Just a question here:

I have heard that the partition containing the operating system should be relatively small (not more than 50 g) and at the highest point on the list of partitions (i.e. C rather than F), to locate it in I believe the outer area of the disk. Having heard this, I wonder if it makes a difference? The layman's explanation I got is that if the os partition is smaller, it doesn't have to go as far to find the files it needs.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2008 - 04:03 AM

Just a question here:

I have heard that the partition containing the operating system should be relatively small (not more than 50 g) and at the highest point on the list of partitions (i.e. C rather than F), to locate it in I believe the outer area of the disk. Having heard this, I wonder if it makes a difference? The layman's explanation I got is that if the os partition is smaller, it doesn't have to go as far to find the files it needs.

The size of the partition doesn't really matter as long as it will be large enough to allow for the OS and the updates, I have a 20GB partition for this and it still has more than half of the space free. The larger the size of the hdd, the long the seek time will be, but you have to keep this in perspective, we're talking milliseconds? To the average person this is going to be superfluous.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users