Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update cannot display webpage

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#1 jjarosz

jjarosz

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 03 December 2008 - 01:44 AM

I'm working on a computer that has a problem when I try to do a windows update, it opens the IE browser but it says is cannot display the web page. The internet works as I can go to google.com for example just fine, so other web sites work. I'm running XP SP3, IE7..

Thanks in advance,
Joe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 03 December 2008 - 04:09 AM

Hi, how are you navigating to the update page? Try clearing your browser cache first, then go to start>all programs>windows update
MCP
MSDST

#3 jjarosz

jjarosz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 07:09 AM

its the same thing, I actually went to microsoft.com, went to the download section, selected smething to download, and instead of downloading it does the same thing also, so Its not really just update now, but what's strange is that I can browse websites, just when I do certain things it doesn't seem to connect. I also for example just tried to update the current definitions for spybotsearch and destroy, and it fails that also, but at the same time I have a browser window open on google.com and it works.

#4 jjarosz

jjarosz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 10:38 AM

ok some additional information. Any help is appreciated.

This laptop is a year (or so) old T60. The user is a ND student, and supposedly they have done something to it to allow it to be used on their network, though I'd looked through everything and don't see any software, firewalls, etc running.

Four things are happening.

First There are redirects from web pages to some random search page, but not on all, so for example I can go to google.com or microsoft.com, but when I go to www.avg.com, it redirects me to this search page. Thats one example, there are others also that redirect.

Second is it won't let me do any updates of any kind. So that includes microsoft updates, avg updates, adaware updates. For microsoft, when you do a microsoft update it says "microsoft explorer cannot display this web page" and looks like the kind of page you get when you are not connected to the internet. but I am based on other pages I can browse to. When in AVG or adaware for example, it just doesn't connect to do updates.

Third, BSOD 0000008E on random programs, but mostly it seems its related to spysweeper, which was loaded. When I run it, it BSOD's, or even when I try to remove it, it will do the same.

Last, when I boot and windows starts, it always says "View Mgr encountered a problem and needs to close".

Not sure if all of these are related or separate problems on the same computer...

Any thoughts or help is appreciated.

#5 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 03 December 2008 - 10:58 AM

BSOD 0000008E
Just one of the many results

This problem may occur if the computer is infected with a variant of the HaxDoor virus.

The HaxDoor virus creates a hidden process. Additionally, the virus hides files and registry keys. The executable file name of the HaxDoor virus may vary, but the file name is frequently Mszx23.exe. Many variants of this virus put a driver that is named Vdmt16.sys or Vdnt32.sys on the computer. This driver is used to hide the virus process. The HaxDoor virus variants can restore these files if you delete them.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903251/en-us

#6 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 11:00 AM

--or--

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945658/en-us

re: hardware issue

the general search

View Mgr

From what I have been able to gather, it's a component of something called "Viewpoint Media Player" that most people feel is some sort of malware. It is apparently installed when you download and install recent versions of AOL Instant Messenger.

Edited by Michael-Anthony, 03 December 2008 - 11:02 AM.

#7 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 11:05 AM

try this for the update problem

Method 1: Verify that the services are started
Make sure that BITS and the Automatic Updates service are started. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.
   2. In the list of services, right-click Automatic Updates, and then click Properties.
   3. In the Startup type list, click Automatic, and then click Apply.
   4. If Service status is set to Stopped, click Start, and then click OK.
   5. Right-click Background Intelligent Transfer Service, and then click Properties.
   6. In the Startup type list, click Manual, and then click Apply.
   7. If Service status is set to Stopped, click Start, and then click OK.

Back to the top
Method 2: One or both of the services do not appear in the Services Control Manager
Note If you manually type the commands in this section, remember that they are case sensitive.

If the Automatic Updates service or the Background Intelligent Transfer Service does not appear in the Services Control Manager, reinstall that service or those services. To do this, use one or both of the following methods, depending on your situation:
The Automatic Updates service is missing
To reinstall the Automatic Updates service, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type the following command, and then click OK:
	  %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 %windir%\inf\au.inf
   2. If you are prompted to insert your operating system CD, type the following path in the Copy files from box, and then click OK:
	  %windir%\ServicePackFiles\i386
	  Note This location contains the most recently updated service pack files. If you cannot use this path to copy the required files from, insert your operating system CD, and then click OK.

The Background Intelligent Transfer Service is missing
To reinstall the Background Intelligent Transfer Service, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type the following command, and then click OK:
	  %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 %windir%\inf\qmgr.inf
   2. If you are prompted to insert your operating system CD, type the following path in the Copy files from box, and then click OK:
	  %windir%\ServicePackFiles\i386
	  Note This location contains the most recently updated service pack files. If you cannot use this path to copy the required files from, insert your operating system CD, and then click OK.

#8 jjarosz

jjarosz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 11:07 AM

Thank you all for the quick replies. I'm going to give some of this a try now.

#9 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 11:24 AM

please note the bsod you mention can be caused by a number of problems. If you could, write down the number codes that follow the stop error (they should be in parentheses) or alternatively, you can use the event viewer to view bsods

#10 jjarosz

jjarosz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 12:14 PM

The BSOD is

0X0000008E (OXC0000005, OXF2658B75, OXEF1977E8, 0X00000000)

#11 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 12:31 PM

looks like it may be an infection. i've just alerted more experienced personell

#12 jjarosz

jjarosz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 12:41 PM

Thank you, it just did the same BSOD when I was looking for a way to uninstall firefox, so I want in that spysweeper program at all.

#13 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 12:45 PM

in the meantime you may wish to famaliarize yourself with this

#14 jjarosz

jjarosz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 12:49 PM

slightly different BSOD number, the 3rd number this time was EEE122C8....is it possible this is a ram problem?

#15 jjarosz

jjarosz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 12:54 PM

sorry for all the posts....BSOD this time, 3rd number is 14B2C8, I was in windows explorer this time......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users