Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Installer Popups!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 jimthepisces

jimthepisces

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 02 December 2008 - 11:43 PM

Hi,

I've recently had some pc problems with malware and at one point, I uninstalled some programs that I didn't think I needed. Suddenly, I've been getting a message upon booting up that says "Unload" and shows an installer window...when I X it out, it just keeps coming back (sometimes it says Windows Installer instead of Unload.) The only way to get rid of it is by doing "End Task." :thumbsup: Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:57 AM

Is that all it says, LOAD? please write word for word any error message, copy/paste or print screen
I'm sorry I missed your malware post, the log was clean

Edited by garmanma, 04 December 2008 - 08:58 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 jimthepisces

jimthepisces
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2008 - 12:25 PM

Hey Garmanma, Thanks for the reply!

So, I rebooted my pc and wrote everything I could. Here's all the text:

It says Unload at the top of the installer window. Inside the window it says "gathering required information" and after a few moments it says "The feature you are trying to use in on a CD-ROM or other removable disk that is not available. Insert the 'Unload' disk and click OK."

At the bottom of this window it says "Use source: 1" which is the only available option or "Browse"

If I click OK, then it says "The path '1' cannot be found. Verify that you have access to this location and
try again, or try to find the installation package 'unload.msi' in a folder from which you can install the product Unload."

Finally, if I X the window, it says "error 1706. No valid source could be found for product Unload. The Windows installer cannot continue."

Then it starts all over again until I do "End Task" on it.

Thanks,

Jim

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:28 AM

If the Windows Installer pops up again, try to see what process it's referring to.
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 jimthepisces

jimthepisces
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:43 PM

Hey Garmanma,

So, to try an figure out what process it's referring to, I wrote down the list of procresses on my computer, did "End Task", and then checked which processes went away. The processes that disappeared after doing End Task were:

msiexec.exe
wmiprvse.exe
wmiprvse.exe (a duplicate)
wuauclt.exe
HpqCmon.exe

Idk if that's what you were looking for, but I hope that helps!

~Jim

#6 Box In A Bag

Box In A Bag

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:57 PM

I just want to help you understand what seems to be happening here.

It is possible that you uninstalled something, but it left junk behind that is now looking for a specific file or program, and is not finding it. So it is than looking for some way to install the program again and saying "hey, i need you to install this so i can work".

What it is, I am not sure, wee need to see if there is any process it is refering to, if it is not than we can look into it deeper
Posted Image
Intel Core2Duo E8400 wolfdale 3.0GHz OC'd to 3.8GHz 38C/39C maximum,

---Call 9-1-1 for emergencies.... or just post at Bleeping Computer---
------------Your friendly CVCOG 9-1-1 Network Administrator-----------

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 02:09 PM

While all of the processes can be legitimate, depending on their location, they can also be trojans:

msiexec.exe - Part of Windows Installer or http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/h...n.exe-2040.html should be msi.exe
wmiprvse.exe - Windows Management Instrumentation or http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/h...n.exe-2040.html
wmiprvse.exe (a duplicate) - That's normal
wuauclt.exe - process managing automatic updates for Microsoft Windows or http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/h...n.exe-2040.html

HpqCmon.exe - HP digital camera - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/h...n.exe-2040.html

My suggestion would be since we have already did some scans and it didn't pick up any thing, to proceed with a HJT log
How to prepare a HJT log:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

Then post in the proper forum here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

Include a link to this thread in your submission

Edited by garmanma, 10 December 2008 - 02:19 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

#8 jimthepisces

jimthepisces
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 02:53 PM

Okay,

Here's my new thread:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/185626/windows-installer-unload-popup/

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 04:16 PM

Now that your log is properly posted, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a HJT Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

If after 5 days you still have received no response, then post a link to your HJT log in the thread titled "Haven't Had A Reply In Five Days?".

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users