Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which order to follow for replacing a graphics card?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ptv999

ptv999

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 02 December 2008 - 10:49 PM

Currently, I have a very bad intel graphics card with its intel driver. I just bought a Nvidia geforce 8500 GT (my pc cannot support anything higher cause of the amp usage) and it is bound to arrive at my house in a few days.

I am just wondering in which order I would uninstall and install drivers and uninstall and install the graphics card itself.
I only have one graphics card slot.

I was thinking of doing this:
So I have my old intel graphics card and the old driver. I turn on the computer and install the new nvidia driver. I turn off the computer, take out the old intel graphics card, put in the new nvidia graphics card, turn on the computer and uninstall the old intel driver.

But I'm not sure whether that would cause the BSOD since I would have two different graphics driver at once upon rebooting.

Another way is:
I have my old intel driver and intel graphics card. I turn the pc on, install the nvidia driver, uninstall the intel graphics driver, turn off the computer, take out the intel graphics card and put in the nvidia graphics card.

Are any of those processes right? If not, which way would I do it?

I'm wondering whether you can run your pc with a graphics card, but without a graphics driver.

Edited by ptv999, 02 December 2008 - 11:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 03 December 2008 - 12:11 AM

Here you go, the correct order for replacing the card in 4 easy steps. It will tell you WHY you need to uninstall old drivers first.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3118_7-5023982-1.html

You should be able to use the card without the drivers, but for better quality viewing you will need the drivers.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 03 December 2008 - 12:16 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users