Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

accidently did a sys recovery and looking for missing things. plus now my computer is almost full and it has never been a issue before.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 yoyoyomonica

yoyoyomonica

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 02 December 2008 - 10:02 PM

I am the lady from this post.... http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...p;#entry1011712 I was looking into doing a system restore and I did a system recovery instead. I made a real mess. I got my computer up and running and all after I royally screwed up everything. I have been able to recover some things. I am looking for
1. My old address book... which was on Incredimail and it disappeared with the recovery.
2. my Palm stuff that was in here.
3. And anything else.... I dont remember.... I have various Learning disablilties so this is so hard for me to fix.

Here is a wierd thing. ALOT is missing from my computer BUT there is hardly any room on my hard drive. It says I have only 9.77 G of free space. I had to override just to get it to defrag. I have a feeling that things are hiding somwhere on this. But I cant get to it. I was able to find my pictures and music and I am so friggin greatful for this.

I have a compaq presario with windows xp.

I have checked in the control panel and went to the add remove programs and there is not too much in there at least there is not as much as there was before. I have never been limited by space issues till I made this huge mistake.
Also I have dumped all of the virus things. I just have the charter one.

I cant think of anything else to put here. can anybody help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 02 December 2008 - 11:08 PM

In Windows Explorer, click on Tools | Folder Options -> View Tab

Check the following:
Display the contents of system folders
Show hidden files and folders

Uncheck the following:
Hide extensions for known file types
Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)

Typical names for the backup files:

UserData
My Documents.old
My Old Disk Structure
Owner.newusername (where newusername is a name picked during the Recovery)

These will be in the Root of the hard drive (C:\UserData), or under Documents and Settings
You may also have a Windows.000 or Windows.old folder.

BTW: F-Secure is a very good security suite.

Edited by Michael-Anthony, 02 December 2008 - 11:11 PM.

#3 yoyoyomonica

yoyoyomonica
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2008 - 12:46 PM

ok I am looking for the first thing u are asking for and I can find it. is tools at the top of a webpage or is this somwhere else. cause I was looking under the tools on the top of this webpage and there is nothing there that says folder options or view tab. I must be in the wrong area. Please direct.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 04 December 2008 - 01:39 PM

When you did the System Recovery it set your computer to what it came with from the factory. This means that the Incredimail and anything else that you added is now gone. You will need to download these applications again in order to use them.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 yoyoyomonica

yoyoyomonica
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2008 - 01:51 PM

ok I found all of this stuff and I checked and unchecked as u told me to. I dont know what to do next?

#6 yoyoyomonica

yoyoyomonica
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 10:22 PM

can anybody help me? I am not sure what I am supposed to do?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 06 December 2008 - 09:35 AM

From your perspective...what is wrong with the system right now, today? What is it that you are concerned about?

If it's merely what's taking up space on your hard drive...you can use a tool like TreeSize Pro Trial - http://www.jam-software.com/treesize/ to examine the contents of the disk.

And you can use the Search XP tool (now) to try to locate individual files or file types.

The changes you made now allow you to see all the files on the computer, which is why they were suggested.

The names listed by michael-anthony are suggested names that you might look for on your system as you search for old files or a backup which was done when you did the recovery.

Louis

#8 yoyoyomonica

yoyoyomonica
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2008 - 11:07 PM

HI Louis. I appreciate u getting back to me. And everybody else who is trying to help me I apppreciate u too.
Yes Louis Space is a major issue. I have never had a problem with space till I made this HUGE mistake on my computer. I only have 9 gm of space left and most everything that was on my computer is gone from the mistake.

Please understand I have alot of learning issues so it is hard for me somtimes to understand everything I read. Please be patient with me.

Second is my computer is soooooooooooooooooo slow. esp the internet. all of the other computers run great but mine.

I will try that treesize thing and see if it helps.
Monica

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users