Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP safe mode freezes

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Koo Law

Koo Law

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 02 December 2008 - 03:26 PM

My PC was hit by csrssc.exe. It denied access to RegEdit.exe and it stopped picturs from displaying on the PC. I searched through internet for 3 weeks trying to get rid of it. Finally, csrssc.exe stopped showing on the "Windows Task Manager" after I did the followings:
1. ran combofix.exe in normal mode (because Safe Mode freezes) twice and ran "Windows Defender" once. One of the three times (I don't remember which) reported that 2 malwares were deleted. The 3rd one was half deleted.
2. deleted all cookies, history files, temporary files and an entry containing csrssc.exe in Registry.
3. ran EFRCSetup.exe (to clean the registry?)
4. Clicked control panel, clicked Internet Options, selected Advance tab and then pick "Show pictures" in MultiMedia.

The system was still very slow. After downloading MicroSoft Internet Explorer 8, it is as quick as it should be in Normal Mode.

However it still freezes in Safe Mode : After it is booted, it displays all users. Once a user is clicked, it displays "safe mode" on all 4 corners and "Microsoft Windows XP (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158: Service Pack 2" on the top of the screen. The screen is dark without icons or task bars.

Edit: Email address removed to foil spambots. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 02 December 2008 - 03:33 PM

just wondering, while in safe mode, press ctrl+alt+esc (taskmanager) is Explorer.exe listed as a process??

if no click file > new task > explorer.exe

hit enter..

Edited by Michael-Anthony, 02 December 2008 - 03:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users