Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

reinstall Vista on Dell computer

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jbird

jbird

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 02 December 2008 - 03:11 PM

Hello, this is my first time posting here.

I am working on my sister's laptop, it's Dell Inspiron 1720, only a few months old. Last week she encountered a problem upon booting up and received the BSOD and then the option to repair the computer. It would not repair and would not restore back to previous dates.

She called Dell for support and found that she has to pay mega bucks just to get support.... The only thing they helped with was ensuring that the hard drive was not at fault since the fn key upon reboot did the diagnostic and ruled out hard drive problems. I am suspecting the latest windows update may have caused this since she did the update the day before and suddenly this repair option occurred.

She was provided the Dell disk with Vista disk and a drivers disk with the system... can I reinstall Vista overtop without losing any of her programs and data (I used to do this successfully with Win98 and XP). I looked through the tutorials here about Vista help but didn't see this option available.

Appreciate any help you can give me.

deb

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 03:30 PM

It depends on the disk provided. If it offers to upgrade or repair, it should keep all information in a windows.old folder.

if it is a destructive restore, it is just that. destroys data..

You can save the data currently on the drive by downloading a copy of ubuntu desktop burn it to disk and boot to the live cd.. then backup all needed data, restart and do a full system restore from the dell cd's.

#3 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 03:31 PM

Hello, this is my first time posting here.

I am working on my sister's laptop, it's Dell Inspiron 1720, only a few months old. Last week she encountered a problem upon booting up and received the BSOD and then the option to repair the computer. It would not repair and would not restore back to previous dates.

She called Dell for support and found that she has to pay mega bucks just to get support.... The only thing they helped with was ensuring that the hard drive was not at fault since the fn key upon reboot did the diagnostic and ruled out hard drive problems. I am suspecting the latest windows update may have caused this since she did the update the day before and suddenly this repair option occurred.

She was provided the Dell disk with Vista disk and a drivers disk with the system... can I reinstall Vista overtop without losing any of her programs and data (I used to do this successfully with Win98 and XP). I looked through the tutorials here about Vista help but didn't see this option available.

Appreciate any help you can give me.

deb

That's kinda jacked up that its not even a year old and support isn't free.
Well thats Dell for yah.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 02 December 2008 - 04:28 PM

Major manufacturer's only offer support for hardware issues - software can be screwed up the first time you mess with the system, so they don't cover that.

That being said, it's possible to do a repair install of Vista - but I haven't tried it myself. Just be careful that you don't wipe everything while trying the repair (and backup your stuff before trying).

Here's a link that may help: http://vistasupport.mvps.org/repair_a_vist...e_vista_dvd.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 04:39 PM

Yes but the million $$ question is, did Dell supply you with an actual vista cd? or just a "recovery disk" and some drivers.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 02 December 2008 - 05:00 PM

The normal Dell Operating System DVD is a full copy of Vista - as are the one's from Gateway. The HP's usually are also - but you have to order them (they don't come with the system) and they're "locked" to specific model numbers. I think the Acer's are also, but the Toshiba's aren't (they're a Ghost image). I don't know about Sony, but don't think they are.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 jbird

jbird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 06:13 PM

It depends on the disk provided. If it offers to upgrade or repair, it should keep all information in a windows.old folder.

if it is a destructive restore, it is just that. destroys data..

You can save the data currently on the drive by downloading a copy of ubuntu desktop burn it to disk and boot to the live cd.. then backup all needed data, restart and do a full system restore from the dell cd's.

I am unable to boot into windows though, it just loops into the repair window on every boot. I wouldn't be able to install ubuntu to get the files.

That's kinda jacked up that its not even a year old and support isn't free.
Well thats Dell for yah.

Like the following usasma quote.. the support is for hardware only and that is available until 2010...

Major manufacturer's only offer support for hardware issues - software can be screwed up the first time you mess with the system, so they don't cover that.

That being said, it's possible to do a repair install of Vista - but I haven't tried it myself. Just be careful that you don't wipe everything while trying the repair (and backup your stuff before trying).

Here's a link that may help: http://vistasupport.mvps.org/repair_a_vist...e_vista_dvd.htm

I am unable to back up her stuff, although she said there really isn't anything that important, since she has only had this system for a short while...

Yes but the million $$ question is, did Dell supply you with an actual vista cd? or just a "recovery disk" and some drivers.

from the look of the disk it says 'Reinstallation DVD Windows Vista-Home Premium 32BIT' and not for reinstallation of drivers or programs. She also got a separate disk for drivers and utilities.

The normal Dell Operating System DVD is a full copy of Vista - as are the one's from Gateway. The HP's usually are also - but you have to order them (they don't come with the system) and they're "locked" to specific model numbers. I think the Acer's are also, but the Toshiba's aren't (they're a Ghost image). I don't know about Sony, but don't think they are.

Yes, you are right about HP... I have an HP and didn't get one disk and when my system crashed and went back to Future Shop to see about recovery disks.. they said that HP would have to mail them to me... I bought my own full XP disks there and then to avoid having to just be stuck with recovery disks specific to my machine.

thank you all for your responses....

I found that I have one more issue here and that's to do with the product code... I looked on the bottom of the laptop and the code is smudged up pretty bad and I can't get every digit, I got most but am missing about 4 letters/numbers, she didn't receive the written code anywhere else and of course I can't use the keylogger on her system to get the code, unfortunately she didn't think to write down this code when she got her system. Is there anyway I can get the code off the disk somehow? I would hate to start reinstalling and then can't input the code.

Edited by jbird, 02 December 2008 - 06:16 PM.

#8 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 10:30 PM

ummm... ubuntu isnt something through windows. you would burn it on a cd, boot with the cd in, and run a version of linux from the cd. No need to install or boot windows.
you can then backup anything important

Ubuntu live cd PT 1

Ubuntu live cd PT 2

Ubuntu live cd PT 3

Edited by Michael-Anthony, 02 December 2008 - 10:54 PM.

#9 jbird

jbird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 04:01 PM

ummm... ubuntu isnt something through windows. you would burn it on a cd, boot with the cd in, and run a version of linux from the cd. No need to install or boot windows.
you can then backup anything important

Ubuntu live cd PT 1

Ubuntu live cd PT 2

Ubuntu live cd PT 3

well, thankyou, I've never heard of ubuntu.. I have heard of linux though so now I know what you are talking about. Using this method will I still be able to access the registry of windows to recover the product code?

I'll also look at that site 'how to geek' for more info on how to fix this thing for her.

#10 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 04:30 PM

I was actually searching for a howto on how to do that for you..

the best i could come up with is this.

:huh:
whilst inside the ubuntu desktop, run terminal
(applications, accessories, terminal) then (your going to have to get your internet connection working for this one)
wget -q http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt/387EE263.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add -
make sure you get the - at the end...

Next, add the repository to your system's list of APT sources:
For Ubuntu Intrepid (8.10):
sudo wget http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt/sources.list.d/intrepid.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq.list
For Ubuntu Hardy (8.04):
sudo wget http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt/sources.list.d/hardy.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq.list
For Debian Etch (4.0):
sudo wget http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt/sources.list.d/etch.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq.list
Then update APT's package information by running
sudo apt-get update

then click this link

download and install dumphive

mount your windows drive (places > computer)

if you get an error mounting do this
sudo mkdir media/HardDisk
sudo mount -t ntfs -o force /dev/sda1 media/HardDisk
and replace sda1 with your windows partition (you can find this out by going)
fdisk -l
thats a lowercase L

in terminal
dumphive /media/HardDisk/WINDOWS/system32/config/software ~/software.reg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Navigate to /home/ubuntu/.wine/drive_c/windows and run regedit.exe using Wine.
Select Registry -> Import Registry File
Import software.reg
Open keyfinder.exe using Wine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users