Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What a day...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 02 December 2008 - 02:38 PM

What a great day this has been. I was surfing around and everything stalled out, hourglasses everywhere and all that. A little later firefox popped up that i was going to a bad site. So i closed out that tab everything was sluggish so i went to task manager saw 2 instances of something called Sysmon in applications, not processes. So i told it to stop, and got spammed with svchost.exe errors. Stupidly restarted the computer.
It wouldn't get past the part where you click your username and it says loading personal settings or whatever. So i broke out the xp disk and ran chkdsk /r it found one or more errors. Still no worky. Went in to safe mode to try and restore. apparently i have no restore points except last known but it didn't matter because it wouldn't do anything when i told it to start restoring anyway.
Next up, repair install of xp. Froze for 20 minutes on installing the network, hard reboot. Then it wouldn't do anything after Setup is restarting...............
So only thing left for me is new install. Deleted the C partition, formatted and TRIED to install. It loaded all the files it needed and rebooted. When it started to load from the hard disk i got a disk read error. Hopefully just because the Ubuntu i had on the other partition changed the MBR. So i thought okay cool whatever i'll go in and fixboot /mbr. Wrong. Recovery console asks for a password, never set one. So now i'm out looking for a bootable cd with fdisk on it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 02:43 PM

grab your ubuntu cd, boot to live mode,

sudo cfdisk /dev/hda (change /dev/hda with your disk)

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,243 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 02:53 PM

FWIW: RC always asks for a password, just hit Enter when it does and it will move on to the command line.

Louis

#4 smurfgod

smurfgod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 03:43 PM

Got the ultimate boot cd thing, gonna give that a shot. And i tried the blank password, didn't take. Saw it was a bug somewhere. Blank worked when i went in to recovery the first time with the chkdsk but after i tried the repair install it got screwed up.

Anyhow I think "maybe" i see what the problem might be. Some reason it made my old I:\ (the vista recovery partition that came on the machine) my new C:\ Come to think of it that may be why the recovery console didn't work either. I was trying to get into C: which was actually the old I: which may very well be passworded. Heck i dunno. Anyhow imma go try the ultimate boot thing now see how it works.

#5 smurfgod

smurfgod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 09:58 AM

Well, I was right about the drive letter change. I went back in and deleted all the windows partitions and formatted a new C and it installed.

Problem i'm having now is kinda screwing with me though. I think i know the solution just how to get to it is the frustrating part. Some of my motherboard drivers are missing. The SM bus controller. an Unknown device and my video card. Here's where it gets a lil weird.
With windows generic "just so you can see something" drivers on the video i get a range of selections on the resolution/color settings. When i install the real drivers for my 8600 gt *from nvidia or evga version* after reboot all i can get is 800x600 with 4 count em 4 colors.

So i'm thinking that maybe it has something to do with the fact that some of my mainboard drivers are not there. problem is that the emachine people slapped vista in this machine and they only will give drivers for vista. W3609 is the model btw So I go to intel's site and they don't have anything on my board. Sticker says D945GCLG2 there's a GCL and a GCLF2 so i tried the DL for that one, both the same package, and it freezes and "installer has encountered a problem and needs to close" probably 10 attempts on 3 downloads.

I'm kinda at a loss here. Not real sure where to go with this...

Nailed it. Simplest solution almost always the last one i try but usually is right. Upgraded to SP2 and it accepted the video drivers. Still don't have drivers for my SM bus, but i don't know what it is so i'm not going to worry about it.

Edited by smurfgod, 03 December 2008 - 11:09 AM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,243 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 11:27 AM

SM Bus drivers should be part of the chipset package, http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/cs-013541.htm

I don't know that you have an Intel chipset, but the same principle applies for any motherboard. SM Bus drivers should be included in the chipset drivers.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users