Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Little help please- computer infected - not sure what next to do

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Scott Rapp

Scott Rapp

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:32 PM

Alright, first of all let me say that this is not my computer. I work for a small business, and have become the unofficial computer technician just because I'm a computer geek... the only one in the office. I built the computers at the office myself, so I guess I'm supposed to fix em too.

Secondly, this computer is used by quite a few different people, so I've no idea where the computer has been, what has been installed, or anything much that would otherwise help me diagnose the problem.

Here is what is happening.

I came into the office a few days ago and tried to use firefox. It loaded a little slow, but it got google.com up easily enough. I did a search, and when I clicked on the link it opened a completely new window with ads ... and it wouldn't allow me to go anywhere other than google. If I try going to a place like norton, or anything that would have stuff to remove malware/spyware then the internet page is blocked and returns a 404 error.

Here is what I have done so far.

First thing was trying to use AVG (which was installed minutes after the computer was up and running), however the update file was missing. So, I tried running a normal scan, and a portion of the way through AVG crashes and burns. After seeing that, I knew something bad was going on. I tried using Ad-Aware, and that returned only some minor cookies that were easily removed. After this, I tried using SmitRem since I've come across a similar thing like this in the past and that removed it. This didn't work either.

Next I began searching the internet on another computer for some answers. Came across the programs (from this forum) HiJackThis, and ComboFix, and Avira Anti-Virus. I uninstalled AVG, installed avira and ran a scan. It came back with these listed:

Dldr.zino.C
Agent.1366
Dldr.Agent.aqfu

It quarantined them, and finished the scan. I restarted the computer, and still had the same problem.

I then tried to install Hijackthis and combofix ... however, the installation programs won't start at all. It's like the process is being killed the instant it starts.

I'm not sure where to post, since this is my first post here... nor am I sure what you guys need in order to try to help me.

Let me say this... this computer, thankfully, is an ... unimportant computer ... and could be wiped clean and reinstalls performed if that would be an easier fix.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Scott Rapp

Scott Rapp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 03 December 2008 - 09:23 AM

Sorry to bump my own post ... still wondering what I should do about this goofy computer.

#3 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 03 December 2008 - 04:27 PM

ComboFix is a tool that should only be run under the supervision of someone who has been trained in its use. Using it on your own can cause problems with your computer.

HI
One assumes ( hopes) that the computer has been withdrawn from service and is now 'out- of- bound's for anyone to use it?
you could maybe try this tool on the computer but I suspect you may need some more powerful tools NOT available in this section of the forum

please run this scan and let the Team review the report for any recommendations

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your Desktop.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
  • MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.

If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue. If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
  • On the Scanner tab:
    • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
    • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.

• The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
  • Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.

Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes, they may alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please permit the program to allow the changes.

Kindly let us see that report to start with?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users