Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Searching for a non-exsistent harddrive?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Iceman2424

Iceman2424

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:20 PM

Hello,

I removed the hard drive from another computer, (I'll call it computer 1), and attached it to my motherboard along with the hard drive that stays in my computer. I was attempting to reformat the hard drive from computer 1 with my computer. After reformating computer 1's hard drive I was then going to attempt to install windows xp on it. In the end I was not succssesful. Needless to say, now when I start up my own computer, after the BIOS screen it wants me to select a version of windows. If I select one I get the error message that reads:

Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk hardware. Please check the windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware refrence manuals fo additional info.

If I select the second windows XP my computer starts up just fine like it always had before I connected computer 1's harddrive. My question to everyone is how do I make my computer back to normal when it would just start up right to windows and I would not have to pick which OS I wanted to use?

Thanks Everyone!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:59 PM

If I select one I get the error message

Make note which entry this one is (first or second)

If I select the second windows XP my computer starts up just fine like it always had before I connected computer 1's harddrive.

again make note which one this is...
also make note which one is default, you may need to change it...

then boot to the one that works...

Create a system restore point.

After that's done.

open My Computer
Navigate to C:\
On the Tools menu in Windows Explorer, click Folder Options.
Click the View tab.
Under Hidden files and folders, click Show hidden files and folders.
Scroll down to "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" and uncheck the box.
click apply, ok

then...

In C:\, copy boot.ini
create a new folder called "bak"
paste the copy of boot.ini into the "bak" folder

Back in c:\, right click boot.ini, and select "properties"
Make sure "read only" is UNCHECKED

apply ok.

Now open boot.ini with notepad.

You now have a file open that should look something like this...
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

only you will have two entries under [operating systems]

remember which one didn't work??
the first or second...

delete the whole line that corresponds to the one that didnt work..(make sure you grab the whole line, from multi to /fastdetect) and make sure the default matches the one that does work.

save the file and close.

restart.

If all goes well...

Delete the folder c:\bak and create another system restore point.

Edited by Michael-Anthony, 02 December 2008 - 02:03 PM.

#3 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 02 December 2008 - 02:15 PM

Hi

In trying to install XP on the 2nd drive, you have created a dual-booting system.
What you need to do is edit the boot.ini file.
Follow this link for a Microsoft article on how to do this. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289022
One of the examples shown is for XP Pro. If you have XP Home you need to change the line

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect so that it reads

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users