Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer Recommendations

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DnDer

DnDer

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 02 December 2008 - 12:17 PM

I have a 98SE box I keep in my bedroom, an XP (sp2) box on my kitchen table, and a MacBook I bought just the other month. I'd like a very simple budget printer (~$120 after tax, I'll be realistic), that could print b/w and color. If it can scan and print photos, too, that'd be a bonus - but I can certainly live without.

I also have a couple boxes I'm trying to cannibalize. Maybe another XP box, one 2003 server box (just to learn on), and an Ubuntu box made from an old 98 machine.

(1) I'm on a wireless network, so I'm guessing I could network the printer wirelessly? Or is that too tricky, or expensive, to expect out of a budget printer still these days?

(2) I've got a lot of random OSs. Is there a printer that anyone knows of that should be able to cover them all?

I like to believe I'm good at troubleshooting equipment. But... really... I don't know how to buy crap for myself. It's just kinda nuts. I either rebuild old systems or inherit ones people don't want. So, I'm currently using an 8-yo HP printer that costs me more in ink than a new printer would cost. So, when that ink's done, I need something new to print with. Darned if I know what'll meet those requirements, though.

(I don't mind shopping tiger or newegg, either. But if I can walk out of, say, a Best Buy with it... point me in that direction, please.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 02 December 2008 - 12:22 PM

Networking a printer is easy...just make the printer a shared device for all users.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=n...mp;aq=f&oq=

<<I've got a lot of random OSs. Is there a printer that anyone knows of that should be able to cover them all?>>

That could be determined only by looking at the O/Ses supported by drivers for each printer, IMO.

Louis

#3 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:06 PM

That could be determined only by looking at the O/Ses supported by drivers for each printer, IMO.

I was asking for a recommendation based on personal experience, if you have any. Is there a printer you've encountered with such capabilities? Would you buy it again?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:33 PM

Sorry, I don't.

I find that just using whatever version of Windows I have...is challenge enough for me :thumbsup:, no matter how much I might think about playing with linux distros.

You might get more feedback if you happen to post something more defitive than "random" as a description for the OSes you have in mind. Many posters here have much more varied experience with other OSes than I will ever have :huh:.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 02 December 2008 - 01:33 PM.

#5 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:44 PM

It was earlier in my first post:

1x 98SE box
2x WinXP Home boxes (1 SP2, 1 SP?)
1x MacBook 10.5.?