Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can't print to HP printer from Dell Win Vista laptop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sue S

Sue S

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 02 December 2008 - 11:31 AM

Help! I have a new Dell laptop with Windows Vista home premium. I have an HP officejet 5610 all-in-one which worked fine with my last computer. I have installed the HP driver from the HP web site. The scan function of the officejet works, so it is connected. When I print from any program, the print goes to the print queue but never prints. It doesn't get an error. It says "printing", but never prints (I have let it sit for hours).

I have deleted and reloaded the print drivers. I have reloaded vista using the disk. I have spent hours with tech support from HP, Dell, and microsoft, doing these same things over and over. (by the way - Dell is the most useless for tech support - I won't buy a Dell again)

Please any suggestions?

Should I try going back to Win xp? Can I??

Thanks!!

~Sue

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 02 December 2008 - 12:10 PM

There are different drivers for XP and Vista, are you sure that you have downloaded the correct drivers?

As I understand it this printer came with two CDs with drivers for each operating system, have you tried the Vista driver CD?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 12:16 PM

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...ng=en&cc=us

Which Vista driver did you download/install?

Which Vista edition are you running (32-bit or 64-bit)?

In any case, I would uninstall the current printer drivers...reboot and then install the correct drivers (after downloading them anew). The drivers installed could be damaged/corrupted.

Louis

#4 weblin

weblin

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2008 - 11:28 AM

http://notebookelaptop.blogspot.com/

#5 Sue S

Sue S
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2008 - 10:38 PM

I would like to thank you for your responses. I did try deleting all HP drivers and reloading. I am using the driver from the official HP website, and it is the driver for all versions of Windows Vista. Unfortunately I am still unable to print.

Fair warning to everyone, Dell doesn't provide any support services for printer problems if you don't have a Dell printer.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 04 December 2008 - 11:51 PM

I don't have a Dell computer, but I do have an HP all-in-one.
Every once in a while, I have the same printing issues you describe.
When it says it is printing but in reality it isn't, I found that a reboot
usually solves the problem. I don't delete the print job. Just reboot, and when
I click on my user name and get to my desktop, it prints.
You might want to try this, see if it works for you.
There was one time I needed to print some important documents and they simply would not
print. Like you, I uninstalled and reinstalled the printer. Still didn't print.
I got disgusted with the process, walked away from the computer, went to the land of sweet dreams.
A few hours later, something woke me up. It was the printer, printing out my documents.
I wish I had an easy answer for you, but unfortunately I've never been able to figure out
why HP printers are so peculiar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users