Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Incomplete program download...Help please

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 David0153

David0153

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 02 December 2008 - 10:43 AM

I am trying to download DH TuneXP 1.5 which starts to download ok then hangs at Registering fonts. I have left for up to 15 minutes but nothing. If I open task manager it shows the program twice with not responding against both. If I try to run the exe file, which I saved on my desktop as administrator, I get a message saying 'Unable to open archive file' if I click ok on that another message appears saying 'cannot extract support files-setup will abort'. Can anybody advise?

Thanks

Edited by David0153, 02 December 2008 - 10:44 AM.

Never let a dark past cloud a bright future

It is from numberless diverse acts of courage and belief that human history is shaped. Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope. Robert Francis Kennedy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 02 December 2008 - 11:08 AM

Did you read the advisories at Softpedia re downloading troubles?

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/DH-T...load-14972.html

I just downloaded that file from that site, using the external mirror.

I don't tweak, espcially when they are "unseen" as indicated by the advertising...so I won't try to install this.

Louis

#3 David0153

David0153
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 11:42 AM

Hi Louis,

I managed to download ok, problem arose when I tried to install, but you didn't get that far.

What do you mean by "unseen"?

It is from numberless diverse acts of courage and belief that human history is shaped. Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope. Robert Francis Kennedy

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,258 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 11:57 AM

IMO..."unseen" registry changes are those made by a program where I don't have a clue as to what has been removed, altered, etc. I chose "unseen" from the blurb about the program.

IMO, the primary appeal of a program that purports to make such...has to be to those who really don't understand what the registry is, yet feel that maybe something ought to be done to it routinely...by some program.

If one truly wants to do registry edits, there is already a structure in Windows for doing such...it's called regedit and it won't do anything without the user initiating the action.

Louis

#5 David0153

David0153
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 12:04 PM

I have managed to install the program by right click and open properties and unblocking the security button at the bottom, but haven't run it yet. Found out about this program from the forums, but not sure now. Perhaps I should post a topic asking for further advice.

Thanks for your help anyway.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 02 December 2008 - 12:43 PM

No matter how the advertisement is worded the fact still remains that this is a registry cleaner which by and large are not supported by most of the staff. Misunderstanding or improper use of these tools can render the operating system useless, and the benefits from these applications is much less than usually claimed. Two of the items that this application is suppose to address are flushing the DNS and defragging the boot folder, you can flush the DNS by going to Start> Run and enter cmd and then ok, in the screen that opens enter ipconfig /flushdns and then hit enter. If the Automatic Boot Disk Optimizer has been enabled it will defrag the boot folder.

[Start] [Run] [Regedit]
Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Dfrg\BootOptimizeFunction
Modify/Create the Value Data Type(s) and Value Name(s) as detailed below.
Data Type: REG_SZ [String Value] // Value Name: Enable
Setting for Value Data: [N = Disabled / Y = Enabled]
Exit Registry and Reboot

Any time that you make changes to your registry you should back up the registry first as a precaution.

Backup Your Registry with ERUNT
  • Please use the following link and scroll down to ERUNT and download it.
    http://aumha.org/freeware/freeware.php
  • For version with the Installer:
    Use the setup program to install ERUNT on your computer
  • For the zipped version:
    Unzip all the files into a folder of your choice.
Click Erunt.exe to backup your registry to the folder of your choice.

Note: to restore your registry, go to the folder and start ERDNT.exe

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 David0153

David0153
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:16 PM

Thanks for that I will take your advice on board. Already have ERUNT downloaded and installed as had read about it in other forums.

#8 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:22 PM

Prefetch folder cleaning

Bottom line: You will not improve Windows performance by cleaning out the Prefetch folder. You will, in fact, degrade Windows performance by cleaning out the Prefetch folder. I‚„ve done performance testing that establishes this definitively. In all the many sites that offer this bogus tip, I have yet to see a single piece of actual performance testing.
http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:LPHU7O...lient=firefox-a

also

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=364763

and finally.. what slows windows down?

Posted Image

Edited by Michael-Anthony, 02 December 2008 - 01:28 PM.

#9 David0153

David0153
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 02:09 PM

THanks for that. Not sure I fully understand the graph cos I'm a bit of a novice. When I downloaded ERUNT it also downloaded "NTREGOPT.EXE" is that ok and worth using?

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,258 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 02:35 PM

Nice graph...lists some of my favorite "Do Not Ever Install" items :thumbsup:.

The one exception I make is MS.NET and I've not really noticed a problem with that (other than the login window).

Louis

#11 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 02:37 PM

Thanks for that. Not sure I fully understand the graph cos I'm a bit of a novice. When I downloaded ERUNT it also downloaded "NTREGOPT.EXE" is that ok and worth using?

this thread would say no... but it also says no to any registry optimizer.

Edited by Michael-Anthony, 02 December 2008 - 02:39 PM.

#12 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 02:38 PM

Nice graph...lists some of my favorite "Do Not Ever Install" items :thumbsup:.

The one exception I make is MS.NET and I've not really noticed a problem with that (other than the login window).

Louis

you notice Norton takes up a whole 58%

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,258 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 02:51 PM

LOL...I knew that from personal experience :thumbsup:.

I used NIS, NSW, etc from 2000 to 2006, in spite of the bad press everyone gave it. I wanted to see how it performed and didn't really care about the redundancy of features and bloat, I simply disabled features that I found obnoxious (like the Protected Recycle Bin that never allows anything to be deleted) or didn't use (many of the scans and registry edit functions).

When I became convinced that I had disable much more than I used...I let it go away :flowers:.

I was a little more stupid then...and actually thought that paying for programs resulted in better programs for whatever I wanted to accomplish :trumpet:.

Louis

#14 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 03:01 PM

lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users