Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD followed by no more boot up?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 02 December 2008 - 09:33 AM

Hi everyone,

I am a virgin poster so be gentle :thumbsup:

I built my PC 18 months ago and it's worked just fine until last night.
The Blue screen of death appeared during me playing Call of duty 5.
I tried everything to rectify it. Uninstalling drivers, rolling them back or renewing them.
I did a few things inside the case like swap menory sticks unatach the DVD rom to try and find the prob.
Anyway now when I boot up the PC it simply turns itself off after a second or so and then goes into a boot cycle.
I have unatached devices to see if it helps to get it into the bios but nothing.
Does anyone have a trick to find out what could be causing the problem?
I am contemplating taking out the battery from the motherboard but I am afraid it will do something dreadful.
I think if I get it going I will buy a new sataII HDD and do a fresh install.
Running WIN XP Pro service pack 3
Radeon X1950 pro
2 gigs of ram
i x DVD drive
300gig sata II HDD

Hope someone can help?

Regards

Chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 radpilot

radpilot

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 02 December 2008 - 11:00 AM

If I understood right you can't see on your screen the BIOS post.
This can mean a bad mobo or a bad VGA in my opinion. You don't get any start error beeps?

#3 (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:04 PM

Hi,

I pulled out the bios battery and it reset everything.
It boots up but still crashes when using Iexplorer and viewing WMV files?
I had a problem like this a few years ago and it turned out to be the ATI card.
Is there a good diagnostic program that I can run to check the configuration of the system?

Many thanks

Chris

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:29 PM

It won't hurt to uninstall the current video drivers...reboot...then install new ones.

Have you checked Device Manager for indications of problems?

Device Manager Basics - http://www.cybertechhelp.com/tutorial/arti...-manager-basics

It probably also would not hurt to run the chkdsk /r command on the C: drive/partition.

http://www.1securitycenter.com/windows_xp_faq/chkdsk.html Select both options (Automatically Fix and Scan For) when they are presented.

Event Viewer is one of the primary tools built into XP which helps diagnose system problems.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Louis

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:32 PM

I'm a little unclear as to what is happening, can you open Windows at all? If you can see if you can stop the automatic restarts, if you can then an error message will appear which will give us a better understanding of what your problem is. If you can't open in normal mode try Safe Mode.

Start> right click on My Computer> Properties> Advanced> Startup and Recovery. Under startup and Recovery click on Settings, uncheck the box in Automatically restart under System failure.

If you can successfully open try doing a System Restore.

Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore.

When this opens make sure that "Restore my computer to an earlier time" is chosen, and click on Next>.

The dates appearing in bold are the dates that you can restore to, click on the date that you want and then click Next> to start the System Restore. This may take a long time to complete, and when it is done it will restart your computer. When the computer restarts and you have logged on as the administrator a Restoration Complete page will appear, click on OK to complete the process.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 02:57 PM

Hi,

Ok. I can now load up windows but it still crashes randomly. If I open IE7 then it pretty much crashes straight away.
It will lock up on games too.
I have disabled the auto start on system failure so I can right down the hex number.
I havent restored the PC yet because I didn't know whether I would lose any work that I had saved to my PC? The latest date I can roll back to is the 27th Nov.
I have scanned for rootkits and all is ok.
I will chack the disc drive and let you know what it says.

Many thanks

Chris

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 02 December 2008 - 03:26 PM

It shouldn't, you are only going back to a point prior to this starting.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2008 - 02:15 PM

Ok,

Scanned my pc for malware and viruses and nothing. The blue screen reads this

stop: 0X00000050 (0XFFFF7FF8, 0X00000000, 0X8054B51A)

Any clues??

Cheers

Chris

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2008 - 07:44 PM

Google list of situations, http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=s...mp;aq=f&oq=

Louis

#10 (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:15 AM

I did google it but each google comes back with something different, could be hardware, could be software could be a driver.
I will test the memory first.
Does anyone know if there is a diagnostic programme for ATI graphics cards? I can't find one.
MY HDD seems to be ok after testing.
My CPU temperature is at 38 degrees, so that's healthy.
I will disable my virus software too because this apparantly can also cause the blue screen?

Cheers

Chris

#11 (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 11:40 AM

OK, latest news.
Memtest is fine.
I tried a system restore which failed so I tried a week earlier, that failed too???
Something fishy though, is that I cant use the run command? Just pops up momentarily and then vanishes?
I may by another SATA HDD and re install windws then transfer across from the other drive all the stuff I want to keep and then format the drive as a saves directory.
I am only concerned that if the problem arises again then I wold have bough a drive for no reason?
Any other suggestions before I obltterate my system?

Regards

Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users