Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Web Searches VERY slow, log attached.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 jcollins914

jcollins914

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 02 December 2008 - 09:25 AM

Hello,

My computer is very slow to perform a Google search all of a sudden. This is true for yahoo also. It is also true for Microsoft Live. I have updated and run both adaware and spybot on the pc, and the issue persists. I can recall recently accidentally installing some offered "registry optimizer". I intended to close it, but it interpreted my clicking as an acceptance; fancy that one. While I found and uninstalled that, I suspect it had an unwelcome payload that is now causing my search issues.

Spybot occasionally tells me that something is trying to set Google.com as the home page, which is probably done by the same thing that is crippling the searches, presumably to encourage me to search so it can do its thing?

I have performed a HiJackThis analysis, and have attached the contents of the log.

Symantec Antivirus runs constantly on my pc.

I am running TrendMicro's free online virus search (which says it has 5.25 hours left, but I'm not certain it's not frozen). I'll let it continue to run in the background, but I lack hope on that one.

I would appreciate any feedback one might provide on the attached log. When I looked @ it, I was tempted to remove some things, but I wouldn't want to make it worse, and after reading the suggested warnings, and the pinned topics atop this and the main forum, I thought I'd start by posting here.

Thanks,
Jeff

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jcollins914

jcollins914
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 02 December 2008 - 12:24 PM

Got it!

I searched around a bit (at the ironically slow pace google was offering), and found this:

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic106596.html

I ran the program suggested by this site, "ComboFix.exe", and sure enough, Google is back to its previous lightning pace.

I don't know how, but it's working again, and I'm pleased as can be.

Thanks and hopefully nobody spent any time working on this.

Jeff

#3 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 02 December 2008 - 09:35 PM

Thanks for telling us what you did.

If you find other problems, please post anew.

This thread is closed.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users