Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hrere's where i'm going to sound really stupid, but....

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 thefriesguy

thefriesguy

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 02 December 2008 - 04:54 AM

i've been out of the loop for quite some time on computer parts....i'm looking to put an Nvidia 9800 GTX or a GX2 into my computer, but i have a friend who says that it's PCI-E....now, i'm not 100% sure, but is there any difference between PCI and PCI-E? it looks like it'd fit into my computer, but i'm not sure, seeing as how i've had this thing since about 2003.

so, can i get the card or should i save my money?

oh, and the difference between SATA and IDE hard drives would be helpful too.

thanks guys!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 02 December 2008 - 08:04 AM

Hi

PCI and PCI-E are very different. If your PC is as old as you say, the graphics card could even be AGP. Do you know the make and model of your PC or motherboard? This info would help when trying to answer your question.

SATA is a hard drive with a serial interface whereas an IDE has a parallel interface.
Steve

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 02 December 2008 - 11:40 AM

If you tell us what your current system consists of...it's easier to give suggestions.

http://www.harddrivereport.com/pata_vs_ata...ata_vs_ide.html

Generally...SATA drives are faster than PATA/IDE drives and are the current technology...with solid-state drives looming on the horizon for all of us (eventually).

Louis

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 02 December 2008 - 11:59 AM

It use to be that the AGP x 4 and then the AGP x 8 were the industry standards for graphics cards, the current generation use the PCI-E x16. The AGP x 8 has a transfer rate of about 2GB/s, and the PCI-E X 16 has about 4GB/s.

Physically the PCI and the PCI-E differ in the number of pins, they aren't interchangeable.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 thefriesguy

thefriesguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 04:41 PM

okay, to answer all of your questions.

i have no idea what the model is for my motherboard, but my computer's an IBM. that's all i really know about the computer itself, it was a business computer back then, and we got it through the company who used it.

specs (that i know of)

intel pentium 4, 2.4 GHz (with an apparent maximum of 64 MB memory, original processor)

40 GB IDE hard drive (the original in the computer)

1024 MB RAM (i don't know if it's possible, but i'm 90% sure i have a DDR stick and a DDR2 stick, at 512 MB each)

1 AGP video card slot (i've been into the setup menu, it says it's disabled)

3 PCI slots (not sure if they're PCI, PCI 2 or what ever, like i said, i'm out of the loop)

that's pretty much the extent of my knowlege of this computer, and when we first got it, i had no idea on the specs, so i came across all this when i was checking myself. hope it helps.

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 04:51 PM

SATA is newer and has a higher data transfer rate than IDE, but the connectors are not identical. It seems as though you have an AGP slot but if you got a 9800GTX or GX2 it would not help you much since the processor would bottleneck the GPU. Those graphics cards are not designed for AGP, they are PCI express which you do not have. PCI and PCI express slots and cards are not interchangeable. The GPU would be faster than the CPU and not receive instructions fast enough. Also the amount of RAM would be an issue in some newer games. If you're serious about gaming, you might want to just scrap the PC and get (or build) a new one.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users