Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

system restore

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wenger66

wenger66

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:52 AM

Hi. I'm having problems accessing my sytem restore and all my system files. I cannot get into anything. all my icons are white. i think i had a virus and may have wiped out some registry keys. i cannot download anything to help.

Edited by wenger66, 02 December 2008 - 01:57 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 02 December 2008 - 03:09 AM

Hi wenger66,

Try going to Start / Run and copy-pasting in sfc /scannow

This will check your computer for corrupt or missing files and attempt to find them. You may be asked to insert your operating system cd.

See if this helps.

Zllio

#3 wenger66

wenger66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 08:27 AM

Thanks for replying Zllio. I tried what you said but a window came up from windows : windows cannot open this file sfc.exe: then it asks if I want to find the program to open this with. This happens with every program on my computer.I can still get on line but that is about it. Anymore ideas would be a big help.

Thanks wenger66

#4 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 07:39 AM

Hi wenger66,

See this link: 'File not found' message when I try to start any program

Zllio

Edited by Zllio, 03 December 2008 - 08:01 AM.

#5 wenger66

wenger66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2008 - 09:11 AM

Hi Zllio,Thanks again for helping out. I'm still having the same problem. i downloaded the patch and when I installed it I got the same message window. Do you have any other ideas. Thanks wenger66

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 04 December 2008 - 09:25 AM

I would remove the hard drive...attach it as a secondary to known good system with reliable AV and antispyware/malware programs...and run all sorts of checks on it until I was convinced that it was free of malware.

Then I would just try a repair install of XP, with the drive placed back into the system it came from.

Louis

#7 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 03:42 AM

Hi wenger66,

It's true that both malware and the removal of malware removal can be the cause of problems with file associations.

You might find the following link useful: http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=21869

Also DougKnox has a site with a number of specific fixes in this area. Go to the below link and do a search for "file associations".

http://www.dougknox.com/

Zllio

Edited by Zllio, 05 December 2008 - 04:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users