Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen flashes on reboot, then computer restarts

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 samuryan

samuryan

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:23 AM

Hello,

I've been working on my computer for days and am dizzy with all the circles I've been going around in.

I'm using an Intel Pentium III processor, 101GHz, 512 MB of RAM. I've got Windows XP Pro Version 2002, with SP3 added to it during this tumultuous time - thinking that might help the problem. And here is the problem:

A couple weeks ago, my computer would seem to boot up fine, but once it got to the desktop, it would flash on for 5 seconds then go black for 2 seconds, and it would repeat this cycle. Nothing would function and the screen would go a bit garbled around the taskbar, so I went into safe mode. (I don't know if it's relevant or not, but this problem started a few days after I tried to install my new modem with a cd from Telus.)

Safe mode worked fine & has continued to do so. I've run anti-spyware programs, but some won't download while in safe mode. I've run HijackThis & fixed what I thought was wrong by going to several sites & checking. I've cleaned the registry, startup list, and uninstall menu to the best of my ability using RegCleaner 4.3, and for a brief time was able to boot up in normal mode. I received some error messages: "Display Settings: Your computer's screen resolution and color depth are currently set to a very low level...(sorry, that's all I wrote down on that one...the rest of the message just said to fix it)", as well as one saying that my computer has recovered from a serious error and that my Nvidia GeForce4 Ti4600 was likely causing the instability issue. (I'm sorry I can't be more specific, I can't seem to find the paper I had everything written down on...I have a 2 year old and don't want to use the "dog ate my homework" excuse, but many, many things go missing lately and turn up in the most unusual places...)

Anyway, I fixed the screen resolution & color depth - everything seemed to be fine, but when I restarted the computer, everything went chaotic again, so I went back into safe mode. There, I updated my drivers, but still no luck. Also, my desktop settings in safe mode are now set to what they'd be in normal mode (eg. 1024 by 768 pixels and 32 bit color) and I can't change them.

Any suggestions?

Thanks so much for your time.

Edited by samuryan, 02 December 2008 - 02:22 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 02 December 2008 - 03:04 AM

Hi samuryan,

This might be a hardware problem. Did you complete the installation of Telus? Did you try uninstalling it if it was installed?

Have you trie to return your computer to an earlier restore point which precedes the installation of the modem and goes back to when you knew your computer was working the way it should? If you can reset the restore point, I would try that first (sorry, all your efforts at cleaning will be reversed). Sometimes in installing new software, a conflict can arise which can most easily be reversed by simply going back to before the conflict occured.

Please try the following:

If you've never done this before, Go to Start / All Programs / Accessories / System Tools / System Restore
check the box to Restore my computer to an earlier time and click on Next. You'll see a calendar with highlighted dates. Choose one of the dates just preceeding these problems and allow your system to return to that date. See if the problem goes away.

If the problem is still there, go through the above steps again to arrive at system restore, and check the option to reverse the change you made.

Were you able to do this?
Zllio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users