Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to connect to router after resetting it

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MyCompterSucks

MyCompterSucks

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:16 AM

My router used to be unsecured with out a password so I decided to reset it and add a password using the option "WPA-PSK [TKIP]" just to be safe. But now when I try "to connect to a netwok" my NETGEAR router shows on the window with a red "X" and a message that says " The settings saved on this computer for the network do not match the requirements for the network ".

I do know the passphrase, user name and password that I set for the Netgear router but when I try to connect to the network there's not an option for me to enter any password or anything, all I see is the above message on the "connect to a network" window.

Thanks for any suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 02 December 2008 - 08:30 AM

The first step is to reset the router to default values (without the security).
Then make a new connection to the router without the security.

If you're able to connect, then re-enable the security on the router and on the computer.
Sometimes a bit of corruption may occur in the computer or the router - and this will usually fix it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 09:02 AM

or you could just do this...(I would attach them but i can only attach 28 k)

in your control panel, click the Network and sharing center.

Posted Image

When the network and sharing center opens, on the left hand side, click "manage wireless networks"

Posted Image

in the window that opens there, click the network that you have changed, and click the "remove" button.. All settings for this connection will be reset.

Posted Image

Then all you have to do is attempt to connect to the network, and enter your passkey

Edited by Michael-Anthony, 02 December 2008 - 09:03 AM.

#4 MyCompterSucks

MyCompterSucks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 06:33 PM

I figured out what the problem was. Although I had to guess and play with it till I got it right. From the "Connect to a network" window, I right clicked on my router's icon, then on the properties window I had to manually figure out and type in the boxes the "Security type" the "Encryption type" and the "Network security key". and once I wad that information correctly entered in the boxes I was able to connect to my router. I really wished it would have been a little more user friendly. Geez what ever happened to simply entering my "user name" and "password" to connect to the router?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users