Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thought it was good, now threatened by company

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 mystew

mystew

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 02 December 2008 - 12:24 AM

I got an e-mail saying that back in June I used the website www.Antivirus2008y.com to purchase Antivirus 2008 software. They claim I have yet to pay them and will have me arrested for fraud unless I show proof.

Back in April I kept getting that popups about viruses found and unlike the rest of world, I didn't think or even know that that in and of itself was a virus. So I followed instructions, paid money for the software and something else. The charges I have listed on my bank statements. What's really rattling me is this confounded e-mail. So I started looking to see what the heck is going on. After searching my computer (did guess I'm as green as they come) I looked into my start programs and found the whole
c:\Users\Michelle\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu thing and nothing else.
I'm thinking I'm not the only one sucker out ther but just in case, I don't mind being ridiculed or whatever just as long as I get some help. I'm ticked off to say the least b/c I realize that I paid for nothing (it seems to me). After spending two hours searching, you came highly recommended and after briefly perusing posts I believe that even if it's just a start, I'll seek you for help. Ok, I'm begging.

Now remember I'm a total novice, completely green in this, just using the computer for word, excel, internet searches and the occasional e-mail.

I paid roughly $280 dollars but didn't complain b/c the pop-ups stopped and I just believed that I was now fully protected, besides, I didn't want to get AVG 2008 though I still have 2007 and it appears to be running. Is it doing something legit? If not, I want it gone too. I also have Window Defender (don't know where that came from) and want to know if I should dump it or not.
I thank God in advance for you guys and for these people sending this threatening e-mail. If anyone knows of a way to get my money back and if you could give me instructions to get this confounded thing off my computer I would sincerely appreciate it.

My sincerest gratitude to all those who responded....Oh yeah, need know of good free antivirus programs and paid for ones (I need the free to carry me til funds arrive for the other).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users