Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WinZip 12 Installation fails with Error 1402

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MNMike

MNMike

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 01 December 2008 - 11:32 PM

When I install WinZip 12 I get the following error near the very end of the installation.

Error 1402. Could not open key: UNKNOW\.wzul\shell\open\command. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.

I have tried several times and get the same error over and over. I disabled AVG and I still get the error.

I opened the registry with regedit and found the following:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.wzmul folder exists

however when I try to open the folder to look at the specific keys I get the following error:

Cannot open .wzmul: Error while opening key.

I tried to delete the folder and it fails with the following message.

Cannot delete .wzmul: Error while deleting key.

Additionally, the following folders exist in the Registry:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WinZip folder exists
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WinZip.JobFile folder exists
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WinZip.RegFile folder exists

however when I try to open the folders to look at the specific keys I get the following error:

Cannot open {foldername} Error while opening key.

I tried to delete the folder and it fails with the following message.

Cannot delete {foldername}: Error while deleting key.

I think the reason that its not installing is because the folders exist, but not completely to delete them.

I have changed the permissions on the folders to remove read-only and I am logged in as administrator. I can't delete them. I'm going crazy! :thumbsup:

I have run various tools such as Windows Installation clean up tools and Registry cleaners like CCleaner. No luck.

Any help would be helpful.

Edited by MNMike, 01 December 2008 - 11:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 travler

travler

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 02 December 2008 - 12:49 AM

The error is a Microsoft Installer error, not a WinZip error. Essentially, the 1402 is saying that while you (administrator permissions) may have access to the keys in the registry, MSI doesn't.

have read a few posts (key ones sourced below) and the procedure below has helped for Adobe & Labview products -- it might work for WinZip as well:

1) Open the registry editor by selecting "Run" from the start menu and then typing in "regedit".

2) Browse through the registry and select the entry mentioned in the error message.

3) Choose "Permissions..." from either the edit menu or by right-clicking on the registry key's parent directory.

4) Click the "Advanced" button to add a new user.

5) Type in "Everyone" as the new user and click OK (it may not be necessary to give everyone full control but this is what I did and it worked).

6) Configure the permissions for user "Everyone" to "Full Control"

7) Uninstall the software (if necessary) and re-install.

source: http://www.wissamidrissi.com/2008/02/error...y-solution.html
source: http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?boar...ssage.id=148774

hope this helps.

travler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users