Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two computers sitting next to each other with different strength of wirelss connection to the same network. Why?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 niceteeth

niceteeth

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 01 December 2008 - 10:14 PM

New desktop computer Windows Vista (64) and trying to connect it to my wireless network. I successfully connect, but only a few bars show up in in the wireless connection menu.

My lap top (windows vista) sitting next to the above mentioned desktop computer connected to the same network and I get all four bars. Seems to have a better connection strength.

Why the difference - same network, same distance to the wireless G router ect. any ideas?

Edited by niceteeth, 01 December 2008 - 10:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2008 - 10:18 PM

difference in hardware/chipset?

#3 niceteeth

niceteeth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2008 - 10:28 PM

The "slower computer" - Interl Core 2 Quad processor q9300 - supposed to be top of the line - 4GB Ram, 1 TB Hard DRive -Wireless -G Lan card. So it is pretty supped up. the "faster" laptop is a thinkpad x61 and I don't have the specs but I doubt that would account for such a difference? what do you think?

Edited by niceteeth, 01 December 2008 - 10:31 PM.

#4 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 12:57 PM

if you could post the exact models of the wireless cards for both computers..

#5 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 02 December 2008 - 02:50 PM

hi,,, as michael is thinking,,, maybe one wireless card is better than the other,,, ie,, the one in the desktop is a wireless G and the one in the lappy is a wireless N, the N being the more modern and better card.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users