Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

need help with my WRT54G!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kyle m

kyle m

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 01 December 2008 - 09:59 PM

i recently tried to downgrade from DD-WRT firmware to the stock linksys firmware because of problems i had forwarding a port for uTorrent. i cant get my router to be recognized on my laptop now, but can direct connect to modem and get on the internet. if someone could write a tutorial or send me a link to one, and also help me find the firmware i need to install, that would be great!! its a WRT54G V8, by the way...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kyle m

kyle m
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 06:22 AM

does no one use this site anymore?!?!

#3 NoteOfDeath

NoteOfDeath

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 02 December 2008 - 02:06 PM

im just going out on a limb but i have a wireless router with at&t and i had to change my routers network to 192.168.2.0 from 192.168.1.0.

maybe when you installed the new fireware it went back to 192.168.1.0. this would make the laptops ip still a 192.168.2.0 address. this is only if you have at&t or another router in between.

im probably not answering your problem.

#4 kyle m

kyle m
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 03:37 PM

yeah i tried the ip thing to make sure it was the same for both but that did not work. a friend mentioned doing a tftp firmware upgrade.... anyone wanna help me do that?

#5 NoteOfDeath

NoteOfDeath

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 06:05 PM

It seems a lot of people are having the same kind of problem you are there all trying tftp upgrade to, if i were you i would try it.

What does DD-WRT do anyway?

When i was looking around i read something about and xbox bridge

#6 kyle m

kyle m
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 06:11 PM

DD-WRT is just a popular 3rd party firmware for many different routers. its got a lot of cool features that can speed up ur connection, but after a while for me, it began to slow my connection. and it seems like it is this way for many ppl who use it, after a few weeks it begins bogging down....

#7 NoteOfDeath

NoteOfDeath

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 06:57 PM

You might just have pushed your routers engine a little to much....

I hope you can get it working Good Luck

#8 Mr-Bee19

Mr-Bee19

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 12:28 AM

Here is the link to Cisco's site to download drivers/firmware

Linksys Firmware Upgrade

I have the same router (V7). Just click on the drop down box and select the WRT54G routers near the bottom. Make sure you select the right version. You can find out your version by looking on your router. Make sure you select the right one.

I just downloaded new firmware for this same router about a month ago and its been working great since. The newest firmware version I have is:
Firmware Version: v7.50.5 build 002, Jan. 9, 2008

Download the firmware and then go into your router settings and go to the Administration tab, then the "Firmware Upgrade" option, and then browse for the downloaded file.

#9 kyle m

kyle m
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 06:12 AM

well, see the problem is, if i connect with my router, i can not access the internet, and can not access the router settings via the internet. so basically the only way to upgrade the firmware is to do it manually, but i do not know exactly how to do that...

#10 Mr-Bee19

Mr-Bee19

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 01:28 PM

Well your technically not accessing the router settings through the internet. Just through the browser.

Okay I think I see your problem. Have you tried doing a hard reset? Holding the little "reset" button on the back of the router for about 15 seconds while its powered on? You should see all the lights blinking like crazy.

Normally you would configure your router first through a wired connection, but if your modem is far away from your computer (assuming its a desktop) you can always just take the router, get a Ethernet cable, and plug one end into the router, and the other into your network port on the back of your computer. Give yourself a static IP like:

IP: 192.168.1.2
SM: 255.255.255.0
DG: 192.168.1.1

(Assuming the DG is 192.168.1.1. Linksys uses the 1.1 while D-link uses 0.1)

Then open up your browser and type in the default gateway and you should be able to get to the router settings.

Hope this helps if you haven't tried it!

Edited by Mr-Bee19, 03 December 2008 - 02:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users