Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shutdown issues

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Nicolice

Nicolice

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 01 December 2008 - 09:28 PM

[Sorry I posted 2 questions earlier at other thread]

My shutdown time is extremely long, where I've to wait like more than 5 minutes just for waiting my system completely shutdown or just do a normal restart.

I've checked most of the settings:
- Is clear pagefile enabled @ policy? - No, I didn't enable clear pagefile at shutdown.
- Terminal service disabled, yes.
- Any not responding programs? I've double checked all the software, even I've turn off every background software before I shutdown and it's still the same
- Installed user profile cleanup tool from Microsoft website, since I read it somewhere it will speedup the shutdown process, not, it doesn't help too.

I've no ideas on what actually happened :thumbsup: It's just really irritating whenever you want to restart, it just stuck at "Shutting down windows" and little bit activities on the hard disk, then no more. I've to press reset everytime I've to restart after I installed Windows Updates or software.

Hope you guys can help, thanks a lot.

Edit: My computer specifications
- Intel Pentium 4 2.4Ghz
- 1 GB of RAM
- 250GB sata HDD
- Windows XP SP 3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 01 December 2008 - 10:28 PM

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management
just to make sure

ClearPageFileAtShutdown = 0

#3 Nicolice

Nicolice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 02:09 AM

Thank you for your reply.

And yes, it's at 0 value.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:25 PM

Are you using the Zone Alarm firewall? If so, first try exiting from it before shutting down. If that doesn't help, then try uninstalling it to see if that helps.

Have you modified any of your services? If so, which ones?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 02:30 PM

<<Terminal service disabled, yes.>>

Any change in your shutdown issues...now that this has been restarted?

Louis

#6 Nicolice

Nicolice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 12:14 AM

Are you using the Zone Alarm firewall? If so, first try exiting from it before shutting down. If that doesn't help, then try uninstalling it to see if that helps.

Have you modified any of your services? If so, which ones?

Yes, I'm using ZA Firewall.
I'll try it tonight since I'm at work, and will reply once I've tested it later.
Services? My answer is below this quote.

<<Terminal service disabled, yes.>>

Any change in your shutdown issues...now that this has been restarted?

Louis

No differences.

Thanks for replying guys, I'll reply once I tried what you guys suggested.

#7 Nicolice

Nicolice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 09:38 AM

Sorry for the double posting.

But it seems when I shutdown Zone Alarm Firewall first, it will makes my computer shutdown or restart faster.
Is the problem caused by Zone Alarm Firewall? Or probably incompatibility with Windows XP SP 3?

Since sometime I just forgot about closing down the firewall before I restart or shutting down my firewall.
Or is there any other free firewall you guys recommends?

Thanks for the helps.

Edited by Nicolice, 03 December 2008 - 09:45 AM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 11:13 AM

You can uninstall ZA and use the XP firewall in the interim...to see if we can solve this. Be sure to enable the Windows firewall.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283673

Louis

#9 Nicolice

Nicolice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 09:13 PM

I'll try that one.
Anyway, I've disabled Windows Firewall before I installed Zone Alarm Firewall.

And also, is Comodo Firewall Pro is a good firewall?

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 10:06 PM

I did trial run of Comodo products last year.

I think that I had some problems with the software causing system issues and I just reverted back to using (at that time) AVG 7.5 and Sunbelt/Kerio Personal.

Louis

#11 Nicolice

Nicolice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2008 - 05:44 AM

I see.

Since Zone Alarm firewall seems pretty user friendly and not annoying to the user much, especially on the asking for user permission for access or block pops up.

My sisters sometime using this desktop computer, and they're not really used with these pops up, so probably they might not understand it much.

But thanks again for the helps.

#12 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,882 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2008 - 06:42 AM

Suggest you do the following. Cleanup the temporary files, logs, cookies, etc. Use Ccleaner for that. During install of Ccleaner you will be offered the Yahoo Toolbar. UNcheck if not wanted. http://www.ccleaner.com/

If you haven't defragmented since the problems started, do that.

Run chkdsk after cleanup and defragmenting. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

Always a good idea to check for malware. Suggest using SAS Free for that.
http://www.superantispyware.com/

I use ZA and have XP3. No problems.

Have you considered using HIBERNATE instead of SHUTDOWN? With my setup, computer hibernates in 10 seconds and will completely reload in less than 15 seconds. Using hibernating, unlike standby, is not affected by power failure and is more "greener".

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#13 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 04 December 2008 - 05:02 PM

The only firewall that I liked with XP was the Sygate Personal Firewall. The writers sold out to another company - so don't get the paid for version. Here's a link to the last freeware version: http://www.321download.com/LastFreeware/pa...onal%20Firewall
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#14 Nicolice

Nicolice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 06:17 AM

Suggest you do the following. Cleanup the temporary files, logs, cookies, etc. Use Ccleaner for that. During install of Ccleaner you will be offered the Yahoo Toolbar. UNcheck if not wanted. http://www.ccleaner.com/

If you haven't defragmented since the problems started, do that.

Run chkdsk after cleanup and defragmenting. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

Always a good idea to check for malware. Suggest using SAS Free for that.
http://www.superantispyware.com/

I use ZA and have XP3. No problems.

Have you considered using HIBERNATE instead of SHUTDOWN? With my setup, computer hibernates in 10 seconds and will completely reload in less than 15 seconds. Using hibernating, unlike standby, is not affected by power failure and is more "greener".

My work office notebook running Win XP 3 PRO and Zone Alarm Firewall too, and it can shut down or restart fine, I'm just clueless on what actually happened.
And thanks, sure, I'll try defrag my drive tonight, and see if there's any changes on it.

I prefer shutting down, rather than just hibernating, sometime when I installed certain software and it requires me to restart the computer, so...it's not really an option, tho.

The only firewall that I liked with XP was the Sygate Personal Firewall. The writers sold out to another company - so don't get the paid for version. Here's a link to the last freeware version: http://www.321download.com/LastFreeware/pa...onal%20Firewall

Oh, thanks. Uh, Sygate Personal Firewall seems quite old, is it still safe to use?

#15 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,882 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:28 AM

You have to choose either hibernate, shutdown or standby each time you click on the "turn off computer button. Hibernate is a "hidden" option. To make Hibernate appear in the Turn Off Your Computer dialogue, simply hold down the Shift key and Stand By will switch to Hibernate.
You need to hold down the Shift key to see and use the Hibernate shut-down option.

Be sure to use Ccleaner before defragging to save time. You could delete the restore points too, as there may be a Gig or more of them and this will speed up the defrag too.

I updated ZA this morning and noticed it was offering a tool bar. Not necessary. I also unchecked "auto updating". Doing those should help shorten load time also. Do you have the toolbar or did you uncheck it during install?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users