Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Task Manager, Shutdown issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Nicolice

Nicolice

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 01 December 2008 - 09:08 PM

I'm currently using Windows XP SP 3, and just this morning I discovered that my username wasn't display anymore at Task Manager.
At first I thought it was glitches, so I just restarted my computer and it's still the same, it doesn't display any username such as "my name", "System" or "Local Service" anymore.
As in picture:
Posted Image

Edit: My computer specifications
- Intel Pentium 4 2.4Ghz
- 1 GB of RAM
- 250GB sata HDD
- Windows XP SP 3

Edit again: I missed the guideline saying it's one problem one thread, sorry about this.
- Can a mod rename my thread title and descriptions? thanks.

Edited by Nicolice, 01 December 2008 - 09:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 01 December 2008 - 10:44 PM

When you open Task Manager, the User Name field might be blank. This happens if the Terminal Service is not started. The default startup type for this service need to be set to Automatic and it must be started. Follow this procedure:

* Click Start, Run and type Services.msc
* Locate Terminal Services and double-click it
* Set the Startup type to Automatic, and click Apply
* Click the Start button to launch the service manually.
* Now Task Manager User Name field will show up.

http://www.winxptutor.com/tmuserblank.htm

Edited by Michael-Anthony, 01 December 2008 - 10:45 PM.

#3 Nicolice

Nicolice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 02 December 2008 - 02:07 AM

Ah, thanks for your help, enabled it and it's display now.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:22 PM

Nice tip Michael-Anthony! I learn something new here every day! :thumbsup:

Hi Nicolice and welcome to Bleeping Computer. There's no need to separate out your issues at this time - it depends on the root cause as to what is meant by "one problem, one thread".

Are you still experiencing the other issues? Sorry, I just noticed your other thread.

Edited by usasma, 02 December 2008 - 01:23 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users