Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Major screw up

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 not_anyone

not_anyone

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 01 December 2008 - 07:16 PM

I had a corrupt boot.ini I tried to fix like everything I read and for some reason I did not come up with the options that I was suppose too. So I did a recovery, it saved my programs and files. The thing is I have these programs on there but not in my add and remove program in control panel. Plus I had it on a router and now I can not get it to connect or even find the connection. So I have manage to take a computer with not much wrong and turn it into a monster lol. So I don't even know where to start I did have a couple of malware in my registry and my program got rid of it, and thats when my boot.ini got corrupted. Can any one help a old confused lady :thumbsup: :flowers: to any :trumpet: OH PLEASE.

not anyone

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 01 December 2008 - 07:19 PM

Well, first I would suggest you take down the malware first.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

Make sure you fully update it before scanning.

Edited by xXAlphaXx, 01 December 2008 - 07:21 PM.

If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#3 not_anyone

not_anyone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2008 - 07:53 PM

Thats what I did with the malwarebytes anti-malware. I appreciate you getting back so fast. Thats how I knew I had malware. And I updated it before I ran it again.

#4 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 01 December 2008 - 08:06 PM

Did it clear out the Malware?

Mabey try a system restore back to the last known good configuration?
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#5 not_anyone

not_anyone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 08:18 AM

Yes it found one and got rid of it. I don't think restore will work for I did the recovery disk, but I will try and let you know later. Have to go some where right now. Thanks Will let you know whats happening.

#6 not_anyone

not_anyone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 08:37 AM

I checked system restore it has no restore point before I did the recovery.
not anyone

#7 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 09:25 AM

well here's the logic.

You had malware.

system restore was running (and saving the malware so you could restore it if you wanted)

so any restore points you go to that are before the time you cleaned, will just re-infect you.

Second point, you ran the recovery cd. (which is *supposed* to format and reinstall your operating system)

Looks like your going to have to bite the bullet..

Write down all the apps that you had before, and backup anything you have thats important.
re-run the recovery cd, and choose the destructive option.

once that's done.

Hardwire connect to your router, and either; reset your security, or grab your encryption key.

(an easy way to reset your router is to hold a toothpick in the reset button on the back for 30 seconds)

if you grabbed the encryption key, disconnect the ethernet cable and try to connect to the router via wifi, and enter your key. (remember, its cAsE sensitive)

if you reset your router, you should be able to connect without any problem, just make sure to go through and set your wifi security up again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users