Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Drive shuts down/locks up during transfers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kpw001

kpw001

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 01 December 2008 - 07:15 PM

I put together an external drive using a Vantec NexStar CX enclosure and a Seagate 250GB SATA laptop drive. When I try to transfer more than 1GB of data at a time, the transfer will reach 60-75% complete and then the drive will stop writing data, the drive still has power but the disks inside just stops spinning. The only way to get my system to unfreeze is to unplug the drive.

I have tried using a Y-cable to draw power from 2 usb ports, but still no luck. I also tried using a WD drive, same problem. I also tried a WD Passport with the same issues. The drives work fine when plugged into an internal SATA connection.

I have used laptop drives as external drives before, but they were IDE/PATA drives and did not have a problem when using a single usb port, is there something I missed when I switched to a SATA drive? The Seagate drive is SATA 3.0Gb/s and the WD drive is SATA 1.5Gb/s. My system specs are as follows:

Dell Dimension 2400
2.66 GHz Pentium 4
2GB DDR RAM
Antec Earthwatts 380 PSU
Windows XP Professional

Any help is much appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 01 December 2008 - 07:53 PM

I would suspect the enclosure, I haven't used a Vantec. I have a Masscool (USB powered) that can handle both SATA and IDE without problems
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 kpw001

kpw001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 02 December 2008 - 12:39 AM

I assumed it was the enclosure as well, but I tried using an off the shelf WD Passport and the result was the same. I will try to get a hold of another enclosure, but I suspect the problem is on the computer side rather than the enclosure side. I also tried different combination off all of my USB ports with no luck there either.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 02 December 2008 - 10:37 AM

Next time you use it and it quits, open Device Manager and click on the +'s By the USB controllers and look for yellow exclamation points
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users