Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen from Monitor

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 freedomwins08

freedomwins08

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 01 December 2008 - 06:48 PM

Hi, my computer froze the other night. THe screen froze and the mouse froze, I had to turn it off. When I turn it back on it turns on but the Monitor doesnt show any image, just black. The computer turns on, the CPU fan spins, and the Keyboard light lights up. At first the monitors light is solid and then after about 10-15 seconds of being on, the light starts to blink. Its a Samsung 940b. Is my problem the monitor, motherboard, or ATI 9600 graphics card?

Im also currently waiting on help my Hijack log.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/180219/hijack-log-mouse-error-and-pc-runnin-slow-infected-with-viruses/

TIA.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 01 December 2008 - 07:06 PM

Please wait untill your HJT log is cleared before making any changes to your computer. Have you tried a different monitor?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 freedomwins08

freedomwins08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2008 - 07:14 PM

My computer was working fine until 2 days ago. So I cant even access the OS so that I can make use of anything to fix things through HJT. I have to make changes to the computer before I can even use it, since it wont let me get into the OS for whatever reason. I havent tried another monitor, but based on the way my computer froze I dont think its a monitor issue. Since I still had a picture when the computer froze, its when I tried turning it back on that I had no picture. So any ideas?

Edited by freedomwins08, 01 December 2008 - 07:16 PM.

#4 freedomwins08

freedomwins08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2008 - 07:37 PM

Also, the issue cant be the videocard right? My ASUS moterboard should be able to display a picture regardless of a videocard malfunction, correct?

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 03:35 PM

If your motherboard has onboard video then yes. Remove your expansion video card and try the onboard and see if you can get the computer to post. You are correct that you can't do much with a HJT log if you can't get into the computer. If you get a response on the HJT forums please link to this thread and tell them you can't log into the computer.

Edit: I have posted a Notice in our Staff forums any HJT team member helping you should be aware that you are no longer able to log into windows. Please do not post anything in the HJT thread until you receive a response from a HJT team member. You can continue posting here until we are able to clear up your problem

Edited by Sneakycyber, 02 December 2008 - 03:42 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#6 freedomwins08

freedomwins08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 08:51 PM

ok, noted.

#7 freedomwins08

freedomwins08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 09:14 PM

How about motherboards onboard graphics...how do i make use of that? i took out the gpu. but how do i connect the monitor to the mobo? There is something that says IOIOIO and its a Green and has 9 male pins. Whats the way to connect the monitor to the mobo onboard graphics?

#8 freedomwins08

freedomwins08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 09:24 PM

By the way i think this is my mobo

http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-180-1.htm

Abit IS7

#9 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 04 December 2008 - 06:43 PM

If that is your motherboard, you do not have onboard video :thumbsup: .

I'm not 100% sure of what the problem could be, but it is most likely (in order of what I think would be the biggest cause) either your, 1.motherboard, 2.video card, 3.power supply and if all else fails, 4.ram. I'm not telling you to go out and buy new parts, but do you have any other systems you could take the parts out of and try them in this one? Maybe try the easier things such as a different video card or ram, then power supply.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#10 freedomwins08

freedomwins08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:13 PM

ia lready bought another videocard and that didnt fix it. But what did fix it temporarly was dislodging the CPU and snapping it back into place, I got it to POST but then during the Windows screen where the blue bar streams accross the bottom it usually freezes, once I got it to load to desktop and then after a minute or two it froze again. So is my problem, hard drive, windows, or motherboard/CPU?

#11 freedomwins08

freedomwins08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:16 PM

Hypothetically if the Windows is corrupt due to a virus on the hard drive, if I were to buy a new hard drive and install windows xp on it, would I still be able to access the files as a slave drive? Or if windows is corrupt on the old hard drive the files will not be accessible either? How do I know for sure its not my hard drive that is giving me the problem?

#12 freedomwins08

freedomwins08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 10:20 PM

Thinking about getting a Dell Inspiring 530. What type of motherboard does this computer come with? Anyone know?

#13 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2008 - 05:42 AM

Sounds as if it could be a Processor or MB issue. If you install your HDD as a slave in another computer yes you can access the files off of it. The new computer will most likely have a Socket 775 if its using an Intel Processor.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#14 freedomwins08

freedomwins08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2008 - 03:43 PM

Even if the Hard drive is corrupt and windows isnt working properly?

#15 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2008 - 08:36 PM

Yes even if windows is corrupt as long as the file system is intact and the HDD is not corrupted.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users