Run AVG 8 daily and Malware bytes and Spybot regularly once a week. Windows Defender was also available and scanned during off hours.
Well, about three days ago, I started to get search redirects from both google and yahoo. the search returns fine, but every link go do different clickthru sites or a spyware website. About the same time, my AVG 8 starts failing to update. so I try it manually. Looks like something is looping the addy to 127.0.0.1. So I check the hosts file in /drivers/etc. There is a lot of stuff from Spybot immunization, nothing particularly out of the ordinary. Lots of faked AVG addresses, none blocking the download/update stuff.
So I try to spybot s&d. It shows an hourglass for a bit, and just sits there. AVG, in the current state it is in. will run for a bit, then the whole computer freezes. Malwarebytes is disabled like spybot.
All attempts to get to a legitimate location for a reasonable download of something gets looped to 127.0.0.1. They seem to use a pretty comprehensive list of sites. So far I have found no workaround.
Tried running both malwarebytes and spybot in safe mode, no dice. I am stumped what to do next. I am trying at this point to get hijackthis.exe on to the thing and maybe try to run it renamed. Please advise if there is some clever way to do this.
I was able to run hijackthis by renaming it, and rsit ran but didn't download anything. Postin the result in the proper forum.
Edited by Barthenon, 01 December 2008 - 09:57 PM.