Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows update turned off alert balloon does not go away

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Arch G

Arch G

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 01 December 2008 - 05:02 PM

Hi ,

After giving all effort and knowledge I am helpless here , need help .

My machine shows windows update not enabled balloon on the task bar , when trying to turn on automatic updates from Windows Security Center , it given me error message " We're sorry, the security center could not change your Automatic Update settings, go to System in control panel to change this setting ".

When i checked System->Automatic updates tab , the Automatic updates option was " ON " .

I do want to mention here , my system was infected by WebHancer couple of days before and I have removed it using LSPFIX , but since than my machine is behaving weird. Launching IE or Mozilla cause my machine to stall , and most of the times non-responsive.

I have a "ssqRKbYr.dll" in windows/system32 , (came in to my machine the day my machine got infected from WebHancer), it is found in system registry " HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa -> Authentication Packages " , even if i remove this dll name from the entry , after reboot it comes back. and I am not able to manually delete the dll , as its been used by the some windows process .

Need help to restore the machine , can not reinstall windows as does not have installation programs for some of the software installed on the machine.

Thanks

Arch G

Edited by Arch G, 01 December 2008 - 05:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Arch G

Arch G
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 01 December 2008 - 06:19 PM

Today I started having a number of problems:
1. ad web pages popping up all the time in my IE
2. can not search in Google, it's not doing anything as if I'm not clicking the button "Search"
3. Automatic Updates service is disabled and cannot be enabled.
I tried full scan with Mcfee and fresh downloaded free version of Ad-aware. No success.
I found a suggestion at one of forums to install Microsoft Windows Defender. That was a good suggestion. I installed it from:
<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=435bfce7-da2b-4a6a-afa4-f7f14e605a0d&displaylang=en>.
First, I used the tool and it didn't find anything. The reason was that definitions were old. When I tried to run Update Definitions I first hit the problem with Automatic Updates. To update Definitions you need Automatic Updates service to be running and it was disabled and could not be enabled. I spent certain time trying to solve this issue and then I simply downloaded Windows Defender Definitions updates manually from: <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923159/> hoping that Windows Defender with latest updates will solve the issue of disabled Automatic Updates service as well. It did! Windows Defender magically cleaned everything and solved all the problems I listed.
I hope that following the steps will help to those who got into the same trouble.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users