Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I want to review my security programs

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 English Teacher

English Teacher

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 01 December 2008 - 04:47 PM

Hi,
I'd like to review my security programs and maybe get rid of some or add to them.

My system specs are:
Windows XP Pro Sp2, Pent 4 3Ghz, 512MB RAM.

Firewall: ZoneAlarm Pro 7.0.483....Windows XP Firewall Disabled
Anti-Virus: AVG Free Version 7.5
Anti-Malware: AVG AS version 7.5 , Spybot 1.4 , Ad-Aware 2008 version 7.1.0.11 , SpywareBlaster 4.1 , Malwarebytes' 1.3 and SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition 4.22.1014

I also sometimes run online scans at Kaspersky.com and Pandasoftware.com

Spybot 1.4 hasn't been updated to version 1.6 as I had problems with that version so was told to roll back to this in the Spybot forum.

AVG Anti-virus 7.5 hasn't been updated to version 8.0 as I had problems with that version which couldn't be resolved by the AVG Free Forum.

To jump ahead of anybody thinking it, YES both forums knew there was a problem with another security program. To date this hasn't been fixed.

Why the change....because reading several different forums, many agree that one or two programs have gone down hill in quality. Also now my daughter has access to the net I think I might need tighter security.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions. Please also give a reason why, if you can?
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
Never argue with stupid people, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
If at first you do succeed, try not to look surprised.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 01 December 2008 - 06:46 PM

Hello.

Your security program looks fine to me, but I do have some comments and suggestions. :thumbsup:

With the amount of security programs you have installed, it seems like a lot to me. I see you only have 512MB of RAM and I'm not sure which have real-time protection enabled but normally, you would want to have one real-time protection, an on-access Anti-virus program, a firewall and one or two on-demand scanners. Too much might cause system performance problems.

You have an anti-virus and firewall software which is good.

Anti-Malware: AVG AS version 7.5 , Spybot 1.4 , Ad-Aware 2008 version 7.1.0.11 , SpywareBlaster 4.1 , Malwarebytes' 1.3 and SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition 4.22.1014

I personally like: Malwarebytes-anti malware, Superantisypware and Spywareblaster.

I'm not sure if AVG AS 7.5 is even updated anymore as it's no longer available at the AVG website.

If I were you, I would leave a real-time protection such as Spybot and remove AVG anti-spyware and Ad-aware. Just my thoughts on it. Too much security programs is sometimes a waste of resources and space.

Also note that only having good security programs is not enough, I think that safe surfing habits is the best protection of all :flowers:

No single product is 100% foolproof and can detect and remove all threats at any given time. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear. Each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes malware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another. Thus, a multi-layered defense using several anti-spyware products (including an effective firewall) to supplement your anti-virus combined with common sense and safe surfing habits provides the most complete protection.

*Note that having multiple antispyware programs is encouraged, but not multiple antiviruses.

Quietman7 has a speech for preventing infections which you might want to read:

Preventing Infections in the Future

Please also have a look at the following links, giving some advice and Tips to protect yourself against malware and reduce the potential for re-infection:
  • Avoid gaming sites, underground web pages, pirated software sites, and peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing programs. They are a security risk which can make your computer susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections, remote attacks, exposure of personal information, and identity theft. Many malicious worms and Trojans spread across P2P file sharing networks, gaming and underground sites. Users visiting such pages may see innocuous-looking banner ads containing code which can trigger pop-up ads and Flash ads that install viruses, Trojans and spyware. Ads are a target for hackers because they offer a stealthy way to distribute malware to a wide range of Internet users. The best way to reduce the risk of infection is to avoid these types of web sites and not use any P2P applications. Read P2P Software User Advisories and Risks of File-Sharing Technology.
I recommend you regularly visit the Windows Update Site!
  • Lots of Hacking/Trojans use the methods found (plugged by the updates) that have not been stopped by people not updating.
  • By updating your machine, you have one less headache! Posted Image
  • Update ALL Critical updates and any other Windows updates for services/programs that you use.
  • If you wish, you can also use automatic updates. This is a good thing to have if you want to be up-to-date all the time, but can also be a bit of an annoyance due to its handling and the sizes of the updates. If you wish to turn on automatic updates then you will find here is a nice little article about turning on automatic updates.
  • Note that it will download them for you, but you still have to actually click install.
  • If you do not want to have automatic updates turned on, or are on dial-up, you can always download updates seperately at: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com.
It is also a good idea to check for the latest versions of commonly installed applications that are regularly patched to fix vulnerabilities. You can check these by visiting Secunia Software Inspector and Calendar of Updates.

Hope that helps.

With Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#3 English Teacher

English Teacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 04:24 AM

I'm not sure if AVG AS 7.5 is even updated anymore as it's no longer available at the AVG website.

Just a quick reply for now.....but yes AVG AS 7.5 is still being updated!! However, you are correct in saying that it isn't on the website anymore. They, Grisoft, want you to get the 8.0 version!

However, as I already said, the version 8 of AVG Anti-virus and Anti-Spy don't work on my computer. In fact if you read their forum you will see it's not only me!!!
The support for the 7.5 version ends on 31 December 2008 :thumbsup:

So I guess I must find a new anti-virus. Which one do you suggest in case I have to change AV?

Thanks again for your reply.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
Never argue with stupid people, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

#4 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 04:35 PM

Hello.

Just a quick reply for now.....but yes AVG AS 7.5 is still being updated!!

Okay that's fine then. You are still able to download AVG AS 7.5 on filehippo.com

The support for the 7.5 version ends on 31 December 2008

Ah, this has been going on for a while now. It was suppose to end a while ago if I remember correctly from reading other forums and other topics it should of ended a few months already, but I guess they changed their mind. Who knows, they might continue it for another few months or so.

Anyways, back to your question. There are some free anti-virus programs out there, below are just some popular anti-virus programs that I mention to people.

Install Antivirus

An anti-virus is essential in keeping your computer safe while surfing the Internet. Please install a free anti-virus program:There are many other anti-virus programs out there and some of them are mentioned here

Good luck :thumbsup:

With Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#5 English Teacher

English Teacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 04:53 PM

I've just found this......
Update:
Support for AVG 7.5 Free will be provided until February 28, 2009.

You can upgrade your AVG 7.5 product (for more details see FAQ 1250 - [free.avg.com]) at any time to benefit from the advanced, proactive protection of AVG 8.0 Free.

Note: AVG 8.0 supports only Windows 2000/XP/Vista (both x86 and x64 platforms).

This is proberbly because many people have probs with the 8.0 version. The end support date has been extended several times by Grisoft

#6 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 05:16 PM

Hello.

This is proberbly because many people have probs with the 8.0 version. The end support date has been extended several times by Grisoft

I haven't had any problems with it :thumbsup: I agree that AVG 8.0 does have alot of problems, that I have seen.

One thing I wanted to mention. As you have said earlier that you only had 512 MB of RAM. AVG anti-virus 7.5 is considered a "light weight" anti-virus program. Anti-virus softwares such as AVAST usually takes alot of resources, however that doesn't mean it's a bad software I'm just saying it may slow down your computer because I know that when I installed AVAST! it slowed my computer down a bit with 1GB of RAM. If you want a very light weight anti-virus software, you might like Avira.

Any other questions or concers?

With Regards,
Extremeboy

#7 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2008 - 05:55 AM

With 512 MB RAM you need something which runs very light so as not to slow you down.

I assume you are looking for free programs.

The New Comodo Security Suite does just that and is improving by the day. The antivirus has not been the subject of comparative testing as yet, so your occasional online scans would be good for now as a second opinion.

The HIPS in this program would alert you to anything strange trying to run on your system and you can check in your rules list to see what is being allowed to run. Anything you are unhappy with there can be blocked from executing.

Spybot's teatimer would duplicate some of that, so I would not have that running.

Yes for me too for MBAM Superantispyware and Spywareblaster. I would also have the MVPS hosts file.

Personally I have used the others and uninstalled them now.

These are just my personal opinions and not to be taken as expert advice. I am just a very satisfied user of all those mentioned above.
James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users