Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help reinstalling xp

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 burntheact

burntheact

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 01 December 2008 - 02:51 PM

Hi,

I am using my windows xp restore disc to reformat my hard drive and reinstall windows. I have a emachines moded with a amdx64 processor and ati x700. a dynex keyboard and razer lachesis mouse. It keeps freezing on the Application installer though and I have to keep restarting and trying. Right now it is frozen OOBE logo- eM 1023/2004 (windows setup installation): install in progress. It was freezing on the other screen (dont remember what it said other then step 2/23 or something) I thought maybe it was my mouse cus it kept freezing on installing that but I unplugged it and still no help. Ive let it run for up to 8 hours and it makes no progress. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I have no clue what to do!
thanks

also I tried a different disk a while back and it eventually worked and stopped freezing after restarting a million times during reformat. I do not think it is bad memory because a guy at geek squad looked at it and said it looked fine. I am going to run the memory check on the suse 11.0 disk to make sure though.

Edited by burntheact, 01 December 2008 - 03:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2008 - 03:43 PM

If you are using a restore/recovery CD...it occurs to me that the settings may have changed (all those mods you cited) which might make it difficult to use that media for any install.

As I recall, the eMachines restore CDs are burned when the system is initially purchased.

Louis

#3 burntheact

burntheact
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 12:17 AM

So what should I do to be able to reinstall it if that is the case?

The memory check is not done yet but it says it has encountered 8 errors and passed 8 ecc errors are 0

tst-4 pass-5 failing address- 00060e039dc - 1550.1mb good-4599ca5d bad-4599ca5f err-bits-00000002 count-1 chan

I dont have any idea what any of that means though :[

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 09:12 AM

I don't have any personal familiarity with restore/recovery CDs, although I have owned eMachines systems. That fact is negated by my immediate wiping of the eMachines system and using one of my Genuine Microsoft XP licenses (I have 8/9 of them) to do a clean install of XP, while removing all of the previous items originally installed on the system.

The best advice I can give would be to go to the eMachines support site and see what your options are for using the disks which you have.

Maybe others here can help guide you.

The memory errors that you cited...are a cause of concern. I would run the Memtest check as a means of either confirming/refuting the fact that you may have a memory situation.

MemTest Manual - http://hcidesign.com/memtest/manual.html

Memtest86.com - Memory Diagnostic - http://www.memtest86.com/

During any test of RAM, be aware that it could be the modules together...just one module...timing and other differences between the modules...the motherboard slots...or clock differences between the RAM modules and the current motherboard speed. It takes time and will to examine all the possibilities, in my experience.

As for Geek Squad expertise in troubleshooting...that will vary person by person. Which is why I would run Memtest, which is a standard program available for testing RAM.

Louis

#5 burntheact

burntheact
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 12:20 PM

I obtained the restore disc I have now by going to customer service and using livechat. I told them I needed a new one and I am pretty sure I told them my hardware specs. Maybe not though. The memory check on the suse cd ran for a day and a half and was still running. It had detected 105 errors. I stopped it and ran memtest 86 as you advised, overnight. Memtest detected no errors at all.

#6 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 02:53 PM

:thumbsup:

As for Geek Squad expertise in troubleshooting...that will vary person by person.

thats an understatement! :trumpet:

http://consumerist.com/consumer/roundups/t...date-257316.php

ripoff reports of geek squad!

why geek squad sucks

:flowers:

Edited by Michael-Anthony, 03 December 2008 - 03:42 PM.

#7 burntheact

burntheact
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2008 - 03:20 AM

Thank you Micheal-Anthony! Those links were really interesting! I am friends with someone who has worked at Best Buy for five years, I am sure he will be interested to read these. I did have my doubts about geek squad but after coming here and then talking to 2 emachine customer service reps, I was feeling pretty positive it was a hardware issue. Either the harddrives or the RAM. The guy at geek squad luckily enough seemed pretty honest. He told me it was most likely bad harddrives, I could check it in for 75$ but it will most likely come out to just bad hard drives which would end up costing around $300. I asked if Alienware was as good as they portray their products in ads and he recommended I go to a local place that builds custom high profermance computers. He told me they can most likely get me the same computer and hardware but for cheaper.

So now I just have to figure out what hardware I should get :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users