Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4481B cannot read Vista-compatible disk

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ian in 619

Ian in 619

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 01 December 2008 - 02:12 PM

I have a HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4481B drive in an XP SP3 machine that can apparently play DVDs, commercial audio CDs, ripped music CDs, and XP only (non-Vista compatible) data disks. For example, I just bought the latest Quicken software. When I tried to install, the drive shows that the disk is empty. No error messages. The same disk on my Vista laptop shows all is well. Similarly, the install software that came with the new Netgear wireless router shows an empty disk, whereas the laptop shows otherwise. However, when trying to install the older Adobe Acrobat 5.0 software, the drive reads it just fine. My laptop, though, says it is incompatible with Vista.

Ordinarily, I might buy into the idea that there is a hardware malfunction. But since the drive can read the older software, I have to think that this is a driver/firmware problem. I uninstalled and let XP recognize and re-install the drive. Nothing. I downloaded and installed the firmware update from DriverGuide.com, but that didn't do anything. I haven't been able to find any driver-specific updates. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks. This is a particularly frustrating problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 01 December 2008 - 04:26 PM

Try the fix given here:

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben...p;x=12&y=13
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Ian in 619

Ian in 619
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2008 - 08:45 PM

Thanks. I ran an automated program that supposedly cleared out the filters, but there's no way to know for sure unless you do it yourself.

#4 Ian in 619

Ian in 619
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 12:13 AM

Confirmed. Filters were removed and still the cd drive won't recognize XP (Vista compatible) disks. Anyone else have an idea?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 03 December 2008 - 01:59 PM

I guess I'm still trying to figure out what O/S has to do with data disks/files.

If you are talking about version compatibility between O/Ses, that seems like something that would be addressed at the website of the respective developers...with a grain of salt. We all know that many programs are deemed to be incompatible with a given O/S but will work for someone with that O/S.

I think it's a hardware problem, without capability of being fixed. We are talking about a burner which has not been acquired in the last year (warranty period).

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=H...mp;aq=f&oq=

Louis

#6 swebb32_99

swebb32_99

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 19 December 2008 - 04:39 PM

I had this same problem on a computer that was infected and the MS fix worked for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users