Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore inactive + service won't start

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 FrankCastleArizona

FrankCastleArizona

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 01 December 2008 - 10:39 AM

Win XP Home SP3 fully updated

My main original issue (PSW Online Games Trojan) is now solved thanks to kahdah but I'm having issues getting my System Restore to work properly.

I'm posting exactly what I've done with System Restore since remaining malware was removed.

System Restore
Then I will need you to reset your System Restore points.
The link below shows how to create a clean restore point.
How to Turn On and Turn Off System Restore in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310405/en-us

The system restore wasn't available within my System Properties. After attempting to run the System Restore Wizard thru Windows Help, it gave me the following error message:

"System Restore is not able to protect your computer. Please restart your computer again, and then run System Restore again"

I restarted computer and attempted to run it again with no success.

After looking in the Services area of the Admnistrative Tools, I saw that the service had been stopped and after attempting to start the service I got another error.

"Could not start the System Restore Service service on Local Computer. Error 1392: The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."

:-(

almost in the clear

Thanks for all help so far, I've learned a tremendous amount from this issue.

OK let's see if this will help.

Click Here and save the Systemrestoreenable.reg to your desktop.
Now double-click Systemrestoreenable.reg.
A window will come up asking if you want to let it merge with the registry.
Click yes.
Reboot for the changes to take place and let me know how it goes.

Unfortunetly, it's still giving me the same errors for opening the System Restore Wizard and to starting the service in the Admin Tools.

:-(

Please and Thanks

Hmm ok well since you are clean of malware here then start a topic Here in the XP forum where they may be better able to assist you with that issue.

Post back here and we will wrap[ this one up.

So here I am. Anyone have any ideas for me?

Please and Thanks

___

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 01 December 2008 - 12:30 PM

You can read this:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_restore.htm

http://bertk.mvps.org/html/error.html

Do you have an original XP CD? I think the SR file is corrupt and you might have to run sfc /scannow
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users