Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows won't start in normal mode

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 luxsit

luxsit

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 01 December 2008 - 09:08 AM

Hello,

Hope you can help, my friend's computer won't start in normal mode. She uses Windows XP Profesional service pack 3. When she opens computer the drive makes a strange noise and we can see computer starts but after message that Windows is being loaded there is black screen and nothing else. I have tried to start in Safe Mode and this is no problem. In Safe Mode I used system restore and made it back for couple of days but when attempted to start in normal mode still no success. I suspect this is because some virus. I have found awda2.exe on drive C and deleted it and also MountPoints2 from Explorer. What we should do next as we can only open Windows in Safe Mode.

Any ideas and help will be highly appreciated...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,285 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 01 December 2008 - 10:04 AM

May apply: Black Screen (fixmbr) - http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314503

Do you have a MS XP Pro CD available if a repair install is suggested?

The fact that it boots into safe mode suggests a driver problem, IMO.

Have you checked Event Viewer for clues?

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Louis

#3 luxsit

luxsit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2008 - 12:48 PM

Hi Louis,

Thanks for fast replay, I have checked the Event Viewer and will attched the logs from Applications and System. The problem started this morning, 1 Dec and if you could look around 29 Nov and 1 Dec for errors to check in details that would be great. I have saved prt scrn of some of the errors I think there are relevant but not sure if thats all... I have attached the prt scrns.
Not sure now if she can find the Windows XP CD, in process of looking for...
Thanks

Attached Files

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,285 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2008 - 02:14 PM

OK, let's try something :thumbsup:.

I would like you to go into Safe Mode...and remove the drivers for your NIC...and then shutdown/restart the system.

You have a ton of errors re NetBT and a reference to a hardware situation (which would be your NIC).

If it is the NIC drivers, XP should now boot (I hope).

If the boot process halts anywhere...and displays any error message...please write it down and post here later.

Louis

#5 luxsit

luxsit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 02:54 AM

Hi,
thanks for replay,
this is the area I am not very comfortable with... Do you mean delete the drivers for Wireless USB Card? If this is a case, where I can find those drivers? I booted the computer in Safe Mode without networking and I can not uninstall that WLAN Adapter. Please give more hints how to do it.

Thanks a lot.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,285 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 09:35 AM

Yes, I mean removing those drivers (if you have a wireless connection).

As for the drivers...they (and all other system drivers) should be available at the website of the system manufacturer.

You may want to try this: How to uninstall hidden devices, drivers, and services - Tech-Recipes.com - http://www.tech-recipes.com/windows_instal...on_tips504.html

<<...and I can not uninstall that WLAN Adapter.>>

You should be able to go to Device Manager and simply right-click on the item and click the uninstall option. Is there an error message when you do that?

I guess that I'm somewhat troubled by your statement in your initial post...that you suspect a virus. None of this will overcome that particular trouble.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 02 December 2008 - 09:38 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users