Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MBAM and Registry Clener.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TerenceM

TerenceM

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 01 December 2008 - 08:03 AM

Hi, I have been using MBAM for a while now,excellent tool, no problems using it.
I noticed on the MBAM list of 'other tools' there is File Assassin. What does this do?
I would also like to know about Registry Cleaning.
Any advice/help would be cool.
Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2008 - 11:29 AM

I'm not as familiar with FileAssassin, but from my understanding of it, it's able to delete files that are generally very stubborn (which this is a manual process from my understanding). Usually, this should be left alone, in my opinion, as it can mess up a computer if the wrong files are deleted. Maybe someone can give you an explanation about it?

As for the registry cleaner...they're usually not worth the trouble.

The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results". Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

There's a way to use one in a safe manner (well, as safe of a manner as possible), but I don't have those instructions if you're persistent about using a registry cleaner (I'll have to find those instructions :thumbsup: ). Still, they're generally not recommended.

Edited by scff249, 01 December 2008 - 11:30 AM.

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#3 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 01 December 2008 - 11:58 AM

Hi TerenceM,

FileAssassin is used by the BC experts.

It deletes locked malware files, unloads modules, closes remote handles, and terminates processes and is compatible only on Windows WIN 2000/NT/XP.

You are recommended to only use it under guidance or if you are experienced.
Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#4 TerenceM

TerenceM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2008 - 01:58 PM

Hi Scff249 and Mole,
Thanks for your replies- I wasn't sure about File Assassin and I have read conflicting reports about Registry Cleaners.
At the moment, my PC (touch wood!) is not broken so I won't try and fix it :thumbsup:

I will continue to use the marvellous tutorials on BC and keep learning computing.

Many thanks once again,

TerenceM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users