Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Freezes in xp

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#1 AkaAlias

AkaAlias

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 01 December 2008 - 07:19 AM

Hi there,

In the past, BC and all the people on it, have been a lot of help to me. And i'm sorry to say i need help once more.

Since yesterday my computer seems te be freezing up randomly. Also there is frequent 'stuttering' for example while typing this post, text takes a while to show up on screen sometimes. This usually never happens.

System info:

--------[ EVEREST Ultimate Edition ]------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v4.20.1257 Beta
Benchmark Module 2.3.218.0
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Quick Report
Computer AKAALIAS
Generator Aka Alias
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
Date 2008-12-01
Time 13:02

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Computer Type ACPI Multiprocessor-pc
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.13 (IE 7.0)
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name AKAALIAS
User Name Aka Alias
Logon Domain AKAALIAS
Date / Time 2008-12-01 / 13:02

Motherboard:
CPU Type QuadCore Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, 2400 MHz (9 x 267)
Motherboard Name Asus Striker Extreme (2 PCI, 2 PCI-E x1, 3 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Dual Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)
Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce 680i SLI
System Memory 3328 MB (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM)
DIMM1: Crucial Tech. 1 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (5-5-5-18 @ 400 MHz) (4-5-5-15 @ 333 MHz)
DIMM2: Crucial Tech. 1 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (5-5-5-18 @ 400 MHz) (4-5-5-15 @ 333 MHz)
DIMM3: Crucial Tech. 1 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (5-5-5-18 @ 400 MHz) (4-5-5-15 @ 333 MHz)
DIMM4: Crucial Tech. 1 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (5-5-5-18 @ 400 MHz) (4-5-5-15 @ 333 MHz)
BIOS Type Award (07/26/07)

Display:
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX (768 MB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX
Monitor Samsung SyncMaster 226BW/MagicSyncMaster CX226BW (Digital) [22" LCD] (HSDP835384)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Analog Devices AD1988B @ nVIDIA nForce 680i SLI (MCP55PXE) - High Definition Audio Controller

Storage:
IDE Controller NVIDIA nForce 590/570/550 Serial ATA Controller
IDE Controller Standaard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
Floppy Drive Diskettestation
Disk Drive SAMSUNG HD501LJ (500 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II)
Optical Drive Optiarc DVD RW AD-7173A (DVD+R9:8x, DVD-R9:8x, DVD+RW:18x/8x, DVD-RW:18x/6x, DVD-RAM:12x, DVD-ROM:16x, CD:48x/32x/48x DVD+RW/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Things i've tried:

I've tried scanning for virusses, malware and such with avg free, ad-aware, spybot s&d, a squared free and the free online kaspersky scanner. The problem ofcourse is that the computer freezes after a while and cannot complete the scan.

I've checked cpu temperatures with cpu-z and everest and they all look fine. I've also checked if the heatsink is still attached properly to the MOBO and cpu.

I've tried a system restore point, halfway down it freezed up. The second try did work and it restored to a previous point. Still the problem remains.

At this point i'm really starting to wonder if maybe the C: Drive is somehow broken, or breaking down. I've got 3 Samsung spinpoints and have had problems with them in the past. I had to send 2 HD's back to be replaced about a year back only 2 weeks after purchasing them.

I've tried running a chkdsk this morning before going to school, after coming back windows was booted normally, but froze directly after klikking 'start'...

I've always kept the pc as clean as possible, regularly checking for virusses and such, and use the 'windows xp tweaking companion' from 'www.tweakguides.com' every time when doing a fresh install.

Where do i go from here? Should i run a hijackthis and post the log file? Or is there something i forgot or a better course of action to take right now?

Thank you in advance for your time and help! Kind regards,

Stefan

*update*

Ok, i went back to school after typing this post, and tried to run the free kaspersky scan again. It completed the 'critical areas' scan and found one threat: not-a-virus:Client-IRC.Win32.mIRC.632 wich seems to me is just a normal file from mIRC, right?

Edited by AkaAlias, 01 December 2008 - 09:59 AM.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,242 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2008 - 09:57 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

First...are there any error messages when these lockups occur?

Have you checked Event Viewer for errors...that might shed light on what is wrong?

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/ Plrease read this completely before going to use Event Viewer data.

Have you a Microsoft XP install CD?

Any problem booting the system?

Since you don't seem to be able to complete a malware scan...that would be high on my list.

Louis

#3 AkaAlias

AkaAlias
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2008 - 10:34 AM

Hello Louis,

Thank you for your response.

As stated in the update in my first post, i did a full kaspersky 'critical areas scan' but i think you will agree that the result is not the problem. Just repeating myself incase you missed it and i'm wrong.

I checked the eventviewer as instructed and found a few errors (in Dutch, i'll translate if need be; translations will be {italic/bold})

Under 'application' there are a few errors concerning explorer.exe: module: ad2mpgdmux.dll, versie{version}: 7.5.0.32179, vastgelopen op{freezed at}: 0x00010864.
After these errors explorer shuts down and restarts again.

There is nothing listed under 'security'

Under 'system' there are two errors wich manifest often since yesterday (when the problem had arisen):

Het stuurprogramma heeft een controllerfout gevonden in \Device\Harddisk0\D. {The operating system has found a controller-error in \Device\Harddisk0\D}

followed by a warning:

Er is een fout ontdekt op apparaat \Device\Harddisk0\D tijdens een wisselbestandsbewerking. {An error has been discovered on device \Device\Harddisk0\D}

My conclusion would be that i've been running chkdsk on the wrong HD, And should run it on D. Could this help the problem? Any other suggestions are more than welcome!

Thanks once again!

Stefan

Edited by AkaAlias, 01 December 2008 - 10:37 AM.

Posted Image

#4 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2008 - 10:46 AM

Harddisk0 is your first harddisk

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/12946/

Suggests that the disk is on its last legs.

If you start hearing the click of death. Go ahead and buy another drive.

in the meantime i would suggest backing everything up.

The message seems to be - if you get an event 51, back everything up immediately!!

suggestions:
Go into the BIOS and enable HDD - S.M.A.R.T.

Remember to save your changes.

Also please post back here to tell whether it got fixed, or the click of death claimed another victim

Edited by Michael-Anthony, 01 December 2008 - 11:03 AM.

#5 AkaAlias

AkaAlias
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2008 - 11:33 AM

Hi Michael-Anthony,

I'v read the links you provided and am sad to hear my first suspicion is correct and the C disk is failing....

I have backed up all my importent files, and will now move to try and backup all the secondary files.

I also enabled S.M.A.R.T

Is there anyway i might be able to make an image of the defective drive, wich could be installed on a new drive later? Or is this not recommended considering the problem?

Thank you for your help.

Stefan
Posted Image

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,242 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2008 - 11:43 AM

I would run a disk diagnostic...on each hard drive that is connected.

These are available at the respective website of the manufacturer of the respective hard drive.

What is your D: partition, please? Do you have a reccovery/restore partition on your system?

From what you posted, it appears that you have 3 hard drives and 2 optical drives attached. Is that correct? Can you give me the corresponding letter assigned each partition on each drive?

Louis

#7 AkaAlias

AkaAlias
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2008 - 12:23 PM

Hi,

My floppy drive doesn't seem to work, and i can't get the diagnostic tool to start from usb...

I've got 3 500GB internal HD's (samsung) (C:/D:/F:)
and 2 500GB external HD's connected (western digital) (G:/H:)
and 1 DVD drive (E:)

None have been devided in partitions.

The error (The operating system has found a controller-error in \Device\Harddisk0\D) took place on Harddisk 0, wich is my C: disk.
Posted Image

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,242 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2008 - 01:58 PM

Just for fun...can you upload up a shot of your screen when you go to Disk Management?

Sorry, I should have asked that before.

I'm puzzled by the fact that your error message reflects an unexplained parameter (D) that does not appear on typical drive error messages.

Diagnostic tools run from bootable CDs, in some cases..

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 01 December 2008 - 01:59 PM.

#9 AkaAlias

AkaAlias
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2008 - 02:33 PM

Uploaded screen to:

http://akaalias.deviantart.com/art/disk-management-105149094

haven't tried a bootable cd.. how do i make one?

gr,

s
Posted Image

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,242 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2008 - 03:39 PM

Samsung utility (I have several Samsung drives): http://www.samsung.com/us/support/download...disp_nm=SV8004H

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000669.htm

http://www.ehow.com/how_2000533_make-bootable-cd-nero.html

Louis

#11 AkaAlias

AkaAlias
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2008 - 06:34 PM

Allright, i downloaded the samsung diagnostic tool, burned it to cd and let it run it's course on the C: HD

No errors occurd, and the software stated the disk was fine.

After rebooting and trying to open firefox the pc instantly froze.
The second time after trying to open eventviewer it froze again.

The third try i waited a bit before toching anything, opened up explorer first, no hangup this time. Then opened firefox to type this post, then opened eventviewer without problems.

The strange thing is, there are only 'information' logs and no errors after using the samsung diagnostic tool. This seems strange to me, as it obviously did freeze right after reboot. The last error is from before using the samsung diagn. software, (at 21:30 (GMT+1))

I'm going to run it on the D: HD tonight.
Posted Image

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,242 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2008 - 06:58 PM

Although I dismissed it earlier...maybe it's time to run Memtest on that RAM. Only problem with that is that RAM errors usually (if not always) produce error messages and BSODs, in my experience.

MemTest Manual - http://hcidesign.com/memtest/manual.html

Memtest86.com - Memory Diagnostic - http://www.memtest86.com/

My last=ditch "let's blame this" card...falls on the CMOS battery, I would change it just to eliminate it. It's an inexpensive item that can cause havoc.

Louis

#13 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2008 - 10:42 PM

just to be thorough, i would run the diag on all the samsungs while youre at it..

this does not replace what hamluis said, just some added confirmation its not any disk.

Edited by Michael-Anthony, 01 December 2008 - 10:43 PM.

#14 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 02 December 2008 - 11:33 AM

A bad/dying hard drive can lock up your system even if it's not the boot/Windows drive.
I'd suggest either disconnecting or running a diagnostic on all of the drives (the W-D's also).

You may also want to run the SeaGate SeaTools diagnostic as it contains a controller test.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#15 AkaAlias

AkaAlias
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 11:49 AM

Ok, just got back from school, I ran the diagnostic tool on the 2nd disc last night, ande the 3th this afternoon. The disks seem fine... no errors whatsoever.

The external disks were disconnected when the problem first occurd, and are disconnected now. I used them for backups, but are normally not connected at all and thus can't be part of the problem.

I'll try the memtest next, and will try and run one virus program tonight, instead of 2 simultaniously. Could this thing still be caused by virus/malware? If so, hijackthis still works properly.. should i post a log?

thanks again!

stefan

Edited by AkaAlias, 02 December 2008 - 02:41 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users