Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Dell sounds like the cargo-loader from aliens.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Irish Gardener

Irish Gardener

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 01 December 2008 - 06:52 AM

Hello all.
My home office sounds like the loading bay of the spaceship Sulaco.

You see, my Dell Vostro 400 has been causing me some concern with the sounds it is making while it is under very little pressure, if any.
It seems to make what sounds like an ummh, ummh, ummh, sound for a burst of about three to five, then silent for a while, then it begins all over again.
I suppose you could compare the sound to a quieter version of that made by the hydraulic rams of an exosuit cargo-loader.
You know the one used by Ripley in the aliens movie.

Posted Image

This sound happens even though the cpu usage is at about 1-2% and page file at about 697mb or so.
Under no pressure really.
This is even from cold in the morning, and I don't live in a very warm country (Ireland).

What I have found does stop these sounds is when go into display properties and change my screen resolution to 1280 x 1024 pixels.
But as the monitor is 1680 x 1050, and I am used to its unsquashed look, this is not the ideal situation.

My pc specs.

Base...... Intel® Core™ 2 Quad-Core Q6600 processor (2.40GHz, 1066MHz, 8MB cache)

Memory...... 4096MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [4x1024]

Monitor...... 22in E228WFP WIDESCREEN UK/Irish (1680 x 1050) TCO99 DVI-D

Video Card...... 256MB ATI® Radeon HD 2600 XT graphics card

Hard Drive...... 500GB (7200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive with 16MB DataBurst cache

Running..... XP professional.

Would any of you know a way to halt the constant sounds but still keep a sharp resolution.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 01 December 2008 - 08:47 AM

Take out any CD/DVDs if present in the drives. Retest.

If still noisy, pull the case apart and find out which fan is acting up.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 freedomwins08

freedomwins08

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 01 December 2008 - 07:50 PM

My old dell use to have this problem. Its most likely the fan on the motherboard has loosened up or moved out of place and has friction somewhere that it shouldnt.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 01 December 2008 - 08:06 PM

What I have found does stop these sounds is when go into display properties and change my screen resolution to 1280 x 1024 pixels.

Check the fan on the video card, also
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users