Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP User problem................. from a newbie

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Watto63

Watto63

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 01 December 2008 - 05:29 AM

ok.
I am having lotsa trouble with logging into XP pro in that it/something seems to be copying user logins.
Basically what happens is this:
We login as a user and find that the screen looks like the very first login to xp...i.e what you would see as a first user...the hills and clouds wallpaper and a couple of default icons only.
When I go into the documents and settings folder i find the list of user folders.
The users that have had the above problem have been duplicated and have a folder with a .BASE extension
so I have admin and admin.BASE, music and music.BASE, plus TEMP and TEMP.BASE and TEMP.BASE.000

all have the folders inside as if they are a legitimate user.

Very frustrating to lose all the desktop shortcuts and icons, wallpaper etc

Feel free to ask anything about this as I may have not explained it to well.

Anyone with any suggestions would obviously be greatly appreciated

tia
Watto

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 01 December 2008 - 09:37 AM

OK.

First you say "I"...then later it's "we" as far as users. How many users for the system?

Are you the only user having a problem with the login?

If so, I would suspect that your user profile is damaged and you need to create a new one and move the settings from one to the other.

How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=811151

Louis

#3 Watto63

Watto63
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 03:23 AM

Thanks Loius!
Yeah well...I and we...I have 4 users on the pc...and all but one are experiencing this problem... I have tried copying the user setting date across and creating a new user but to no avial...I hahve deleted the users folders and they come back once that particular user logs on.....so frustrating!

#4 Watto63

Watto63
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 02:46 AM

ok...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users