Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

startup problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ratboy01

ratboy01

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 10 May 2005 - 10:54 AM

This problem has happened to two different computers. when I turn on the computer it only displays the wallpaper only , no icons and also no tool bar at all.
I had tried to restart in safe mode and that doesn't work either.the first computer i had to send it to get fixed .so i installed a older computer just to surf and now this one has the identical problem with two different operating systems. the first one was windows 2000 and this one is windows me. I had the first computer re imaged and i haven't installed it yet b/c i am scared to.LOL what can i do to save the second one?????????

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 11 May 2005 - 06:23 AM

What happens when you try to boot in safe mode?

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 ratboy01

ratboy01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2005 - 12:19 PM

Well, it goes into safe mode and stays on the screen that says safe mode and won't budge. I've tried in all different modes of safe mode and it will go back to the same wall paper screen with out icons or tool bar. I was trying to reboot from cd , but it will not do a thing.I can reach the bios set up screen , but i cannot do a thing from that screen either.but what i find weird is that the exactly the same thing happened to both computers, and i havent downloaded a thing with it . or opened any strange emails. thanks

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2005 - 12:32 PM

Is there some program that you have installed on both these computers or on the one with the two operating systems. There must be something in common here.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 ratboy01

ratboy01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2005 - 03:03 PM

Well i thought of that but there isn't anything other than virus protection and the firewall . unless something was installed with out my knowledge.but i checked and there wasn't anything out of the ordinary???

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2005 - 03:16 PM

Those are likely suspects as they would finish loading at about the time your icons started showing up. What is the AV program and what is the firewall? How are you installing them? A download or are they burnt to a CD?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 ratboy01

ratboy01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2005 - 09:26 AM

what i think, someone is hackin into my computer thru a back door or something .but i spent a good hour trying to put it into safe mode and its not moving anywhere. I dont think the firewall did anything. it there anything i can do to somewhat block these hackers or at least slow them down..???????i have noticed someone has been trying to ping my computer, so i turned up the security on the firewall and it apparently didnt do a thing.............

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2005 - 09:31 AM

i have noticed someone has been trying to ping my computer, so i turned up the security on the firewall and it apparently didnt do a thing.............

Are you saying that you can boot and get on the internet now?

Pings are normal. Don't worry about it. If your firewall tells you you are being pinged then nothing is getting in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users