Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

_______Search results being redirected!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 uncomfy

uncomfy

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 01 December 2008 - 03:44 AM

Heeeelp! When I click a link in search results, I get redirected to another site. The actual font size of the search results has changed! It's bigger than it used to be. The sites I get redirected to usually pertain to what I was searching for in the first place, but they are ad sites. And I can usually type an address directly into the address bar and get to a website that way, but even that sometimes doesn't work.

I tried several different search engines (msn, google, etc.) and all of them are behaving the same: larger text and redirected links. I've scanned with Avast anti-virus and it deleted everything it detected, but nothing has changed. I just downloaded AVG Anti-Virus, which is in the process of scanning now, but has only so far found a TON of tracking cookies.

Oh, also on one of the user accounts on my computer, the taskbar will not load. And when I sign into it, it won't let me do anything and beeps loudly if I click anything and freezes up. I'm not sure if that's even related, but I figured I should mention it just in case.

Sorry if that's wayyyy too much info, I wanted to make sure to be thorough. Oh yeah, my os is windows xp. And I even tried to use system restore, but it didn't work, even though it is enabled. I don't know what to do! Pleaaase help! D:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_superbird_*

Guest_superbird_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 December 2008 - 11:37 AM

Hi,

I'm going to redirect you to the HijackThissection of this forum. This, because it's a deeper infection.
Read this page and follow it's steps: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

Good luck. :thumbsup:

#3 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2008 - 11:39 AM

I just want to give one little note.

I've scanned with Avast anti-virus and it deleted everything it detected, but nothing has changed. I just downloaded AVG Anti-Virus, which is in the process of scanning now, but has only so far found a TON of tracking cookies.

You shouldn't have multiple Antivirus programs on the same computer as they can conflict with each other.

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#4 uncomfy

uncomfy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2008 - 01:31 PM

superbird,

Thank you so much for replying! :D Ok, I followed the link you provided and made sure my firewall was enabled with no exceptions. I tried to download RSIT, but I can't even get to this forum (on the computer in question). I've been posting here with a different computer because there are certain websites that my browser won't let me go to, namely this one. It seems like I can't visit any type of website having anything to do with computers, malware, or anything like that. Whereas, if I type google.com into the search bar, it's happy to take me there. I thought I could maybe fool it and made a hyperlink in microsoft word to see if I could navigate from there, but no cigar. I'm not sure what to do from here. :\

Oh, and scff, I uninstalled avast before I downloaded avg because it prompted me to do so. Thank you, though. :]

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,484 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2008 - 02:33 PM

I tried to download RSIT, but I can't even get to this forum (on the computer in question)

If you cannot use the Internet or download any programs, try downloading from another computer (family member, friend, etc). Save to a flash (usb, pen, thumb, jump) drive or CD, transfer to the infected machine, then install and run the program.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 uncomfy

uncomfy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 01 December 2008 - 05:34 PM

I tried to download RSIT, but I can't even get to this forum (on the computer in question)

If you cannot use the Internet or download any programs, try downloading from another computer (family member, friend, etc). Save to a flash (usb, pen, thumb, jump) drive or CD, transfer to the infected machine, then install and run the program.

Thanks, I did as instructed and rsit ran just fine. Thanks SO much for the help you guys, I'm over to the HijackThis section to post my logs. :thumbsup:

#7 Guest_superbird_*

Guest_superbird_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 08:19 AM

You're welcome. I will notify a moderator to close the topic here. :thumbsup:

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,484 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 09:13 AM

Your hijackthis log is posted Your hijackthis log is posted here.

Now that your log is posted, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a HJT Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the member assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic until you are cleared by the HJT Team. If you still need assistance after your log has been reviewed and you have been cleared, please PM me or another moderator and we will re-open this topic.

Good luck with your log.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users