Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Salvaging data off my old hard drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 phant0m

phant0m

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 01 December 2008 - 12:31 AM

Not sure if this is in the correct forum or not. I apologize if it is not. It's sort of an internal to external hardware problem.

Recently my laptop's hard drive (a Western Digital Scorpio) crashed on me. I ended up getting a new one and I'm already up and running on it. However, I have some very important files I would desperately like to recover from my old drive.

A friend of mine had an issue with a crashed HDD and was able to get data off of it by getting a USB disk enclosure for it so it mocked as an external hard drive. So I bought one.

However, when I hook it up to my computer, it takes a while to recognize it, and once it does and I try to access it stalls and if Windows Explorer doesn't crash I get a pop-up that says the drive is not formatted and asks me if I'd like to do so (which I obviously don't, I want to recover the data).

I've tried accessing it in safe mode and Windows Explorer crashes there as well.

Is there anything else I can do? I'm not yet ready to accept I've lost everything until I've exhausted every option trying to get my stuff back.

Thank you so much in advance. Your help is greatly appreciated!

Also, if it's important... I've got a Dell Inspiron E1505 and I'm running Windows XP Pro with SP2.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 01 December 2008 - 01:14 AM

If the crashed hard drive failed due to a hardware error, it will be difficult to recover the data since the storage medium itself could be damaged. There might be forensic tools that might work or perhaps a professional data recovery company.

3939.png

#3 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 01 December 2008 - 02:36 AM

When you are able to access the drive, can you run a chkdsk on it? Maybe that will help. I had to purchase a recovery program a couple of years ago, a cheap one, that recovers after a quick format and does a pretty good job of it. If all else fails you might want to look into something like that.. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users