Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple User Profle Question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 thepedalontheright

thepedalontheright

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 10 May 2005 - 09:24 AM

Thanks in advance for the help - I'm sorry that this may be a simple question for some f you, but I've searched and haven't discovered an answer.

When you set up multiple users on one machine - like a seperate user for each of my children and myself - so I'm not running off of the "owner" profile - how do you set each user's start page with the programs that they normally use?

Like, my youngest doens't need - Excel
My oldest kid does.

I don't need their game icons showing on my user desktop...

I hope I've expained this adequately?

any help will be applauded.... :thumbsup:

David

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 10 May 2005 - 10:51 AM

I'm responding from applied understanding more than practical experience, David.
I am a single user. I also open a user name (phawgg) that I logon with, to avoid having to use a password. I've had more usernames in more groups than admin before, also.

OK, each user name can have an account.
The account can be any of those available, among two basic types... admin & limited.
From the control panel, User Groups Help will tell you can:
1. Customize the way windows & the desktop look for each user
2. Have your own lists of Web Favorites & recently visited sites
3. Save settings per user
4. Have an individual My Documents folder, and/or use a password to keep files private.
5. Log on 'faster" and quickly change users without closing your programs.

gee, sign me up! lol

If you go to control panel >administrative tools >computer management >local users & groups you get a little more information ... not exactly answers though.

Name Description
Administrators Administrators have complete and unrestricted access to the computer/domain
Backup Operators Backup Operators can override security restrictions for the sole purpose of backing up or restoring files
Guests Guests have the same access as members of the Users group by default, except for the Guest account which is further restricted
Network Configuration Operators Members in this group can have some administrative privileges to manage configuration of networking features
Power Users Power Users possess most administrative powers with some restrictions. Thus, Power Users can run legacy applications in addition to certified applications
Remote Desktop Users Members in this group are granted the right to logon remotely
Replicator Supports file replication in a domain
Users Users are prevented from making accidental or intentional system-wide changes. Thus, Users can run certified applications, but not most legacy applications
HelpServicesGroup Group for the Help and Support Center

who should be who/what/how begs for an answer IMHO.

I'm fairly certain that by first creating a username in one of the two groups, admin or limited, and then creating certain limitations upon the actions allowed the member, it will in turn determine those more detailed sub-groups.

In a practical how-to-do sense, it's easier.
Simply "create a new account". Name. more prompts. done.

Well, it should be simple...

But then being a Dad would be simpler, too ... if:
Each child did not a have an individual personality and,
Mom (or the motherboard in this case perhaps) wasn't a definite factor also.

What I'm trying to say is that the entire schematic of the user group arrangement sorta depends on an established fact. The original "owner", the one who loads the OS initially and passwords it, understands it all.

What each service does & why and to which programs originally that are loaded as well as all that are loaded after the fact.

Bringing up the Excel program, for instance. It will automatically configure itself to
"globally startup" for you. Nice. Meaning every user gets it on their desktop. Unless you delete it from the startup menu in that user's desktop.

So, either you disable the global startup or you face a customization of individual desktops, which will include manually preparing each start menu, individually placing icon shortcuts into the recycle bin, doing several reboots to see which of these changes "sticks" and which didn't and then going into each program searching for the configuration(s) that will assist you in making your decisions final.

Also, the system allows for individual folder options to be set as configurations, either within a disk drive or some part thereof. These are the "settings" that the user group
saves. Easier said then done. The key there is to open properties of individual files and folders within the user's desktop to check on what is allowed and what is not.

I'm sure some see this as easier than I do. I have fixed spyware-ridden machines that for all practical purposes are five machines in one from the standpoint of malware and how it exercises it's interpretations of user groups and authority over the OS features.

To restore confidence, however, remember these facts:

User groups are different.
Settings are saved.
Logon does offer options
Programs can open for all or just select users
Users can or can not make system-wide changes, depending on how you choose.

Let's both hope someone else with less to say but more importantly, says it more succinctly than I comes along, huh?

I'm sorry that this may be a simple question for some f you, but I've searched and haven't discovered an answer.

yeah, me too. :thumbsup: BTW, if this all looks wrong to you, maybe it's because I'm talking about winXP professional

Edited by phawgg, 10 May 2005 - 10:52 AM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 thepedalontheright

thepedalontheright
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 10 May 2005 - 12:40 PM

Thanks so much for a thoughtful and kind response.

I went to the control panel looking for your suggestions. and did not find the

"If you go to control panel >administrative tools >computer management >local users & groups ..."

perhaps it is because I'm running XP Home

I'll continue to look and if I discover a solution, I'll post back here.

Thanks for the info on start menu's - but I agree, I probably won't go there.

David

#4 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 10 May 2005 - 03:02 PM

Try this.

1. Right Click the task-bar
2. Click Properties
3. Click Start Menu tab.
4. Make sure the "radio button" is selected for "Start Menu."
5. Click Customize
6. Click the advance tab
7. Scroll all the way down to the bottom
8. Under System Administrative Tools select the option that reads Display on All Program Menu and Start Menu

I'm pretty sure this is available on Windows XP Home, if not make sure you have SP2. If it doesn't show up in the Control Panel just click on the Computer Management from the Start Menu.

Hope this helps.
yanowhiz

BTW: on Windows XP Pro (I know for a fact, not sure about home) that the groups are "Power Users," (can't install much, but can get homework done and surf the net.) "User," (the basics), "Administrator" (hehe).

Edited by yanowhiz, 10 May 2005 - 03:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users